G'day from Loomberah

Say g'day and tell us a little bit about yourself if you wish. If you have a wind or solar power system, big or small; flaunt its specs here!

Re: G'day from Loomberah

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:54 pm

Thanks Gary, yes thats the way I always go to work. Actually, you may have even seen me riding my mountain bike past your place! I often head out that way from Coona for a ride around the back roads during an observing run.
cheers, Gordon
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Lyngarin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi Gordon, I live 32 K from Coona, via Ulamambri, follow Box ridge road and continue straight ahead on Mancers Lane 1.3 k' from the Binnaway RH turn. I will be able to give you a couple litres of water and a sweat clothe if you peddle out this way. My gate has a small metal bent LYNGARIN sign on it. I enjoyed looking at your web site, very well put together. Cheers Gary Martin.
Lyngarin
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:38 pm

I know where you are then, I ride along Mancers Ln from Ropers Rd on the way back to Coona every few months or so ;) I may well drop in sometime!

cheers, Gordon
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Lyngarin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi Gordon, I have seen a bike go past a couple of times, I thought that local very keen especially coping witht he sand patches on mancers lane, be like riding in a sand dune. Amazing how seeing things and wondering about them, how answers turn up eventually. Just can't believe how I tripped over that puzzle. I thought it must have been a visitor to one of the neighbours up the road. If you ever pull up at the gate yell out very loud, I wouldn't like to trust our dog. He is a very big Marema, is very placid as well as very protective, a bike rider may appear as easy pickings. His name is Jake, if he wags his tail vigorously you'll be OK. Cheers Gary
Lyngarin
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Yea the sand can be a real nightmare through the forest there. Its not as bad as Dandry Road is much of the time though!
I'll keep an eye out for Jake ;)

cheers, Gordon
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Lyngarin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:26 pm

Hello Gordon, I have altered my spread sheet to incorproate the daily KW inout and output. The Input equation I have used A/H input x 14V. assuming it may not reach 14.5. What voltage would I use in the A/H output x ??? 12v or the same as input 14v. On washing days, we use the generator and turn on the charger for extra boost, however it also supplies 14volts, but it does increase the current considerably and the days input A/H. and reduces the output A/H as the load is on the generator for an hour or two. I find running my own power supply as a very enjoyable challenge.

You went into lengths on another question about fixed panels or tracking. I agree with you the better the tracking the better the collection. I have a manual tracking grid, mounted on the ground. Due to the cost of elecrically tracking I am happy to adjust both the direction and the tilt to achieve the best current input, I only have to adjust them a few times a day. Seeing we are retired it is not a very demanding proccess. If we are away for the day or two I set it due north with necessary tilt for the time of the year. Working pretty well for my needs.

Cheers Gary.
Lyngarin
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi Gary,
Lyngarin wrote: The Input equation I have used A/H input x 14V. assuming it may not reach 14.5.

That is probably a reasonable value to use for days when you reach full charge. Less on overcast days when you dont reach full charge though, anything from 12 to 14V depending on the weather!

Lyngarin wrote:What voltage would I use in the A/H output x ??? 12v or the same as input 14v.

Generally not 14V, as load will decrease the battery voltage, unless it is significantly under the charging current. I guess its a matter of keeping an eye on your voltage fluctuations during the day and night and coming to a nice median value... I'd guess 12.5-13 wouldn't be too far off for overall day and night use

Lyngarin wrote:You went into lengths on another question about fixed panels or tracking. I agree with you the better the tracking the better the collection. I have a manual tracking grid, mounted on the ground. Due to the cost of elecrically tracking I am happy to adjust both the direction and the tilt to achieve the best current input, I only have to adjust them a few times a day. Seeing we are retired it is not a very demanding proccess. If we are away for the day or two I set it due north with necessary tilt for the time of the year. Working pretty well for my needs.
Cheers Gary.

Thats works fine, I manually tracked for many years myself until I got my trackers up and running. I was away from home a lot then, and with no one else here there wasnt a big demand on the batteries. Now there are two of us, (and a whole lot more electrical appliances!) I needed to get the most from my panels, and automatic tracking + MPPT charging regulators was the best way to go.

cheers, Gordon
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Lyngarin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks Gordon once again. I don't like saying I thought that, when you have actually explained it pretty well. I had thought I might just use the nominal 13v as the average figure, over the period of a month my guess it would be a reasonable average. Have a nice weekend, Cheers Gary.
Lyngarin
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:52 pm

A photo showing the dual actuators and tension spring counterbalancing of the tracker.

Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:20 am

I now have solar radiation and UV index, updated every 10 or 15 minutes, posted here:
http://weather.gunagulla.com/Cumulus/index.htm

Once I find a suitable data logger I'll also be plotting output from my 2 solar arrays and wind generator(s)

The solar radiation value is radiation received on a flat surface, in watts per square metre. My trackers will be receiving more than this, except around solar noon, when the values will be the same.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce yourself