Hello and some introduction

Say g'day and tell us a little bit about yourself if you wish. If you have a wind or solar power system, big or small; flaunt its specs here!

Hello and some introduction

Postby lillypilly » Sat May 08, 2010 10:07 am

Hi,

I live in Melbourne with my partner and three young children in a small 1950s WB house. I have been interested in alternative energy and energy efficiency for many years and have been keeping a record of our electricity, gas and water use since we moved in 9 years ago. We have gas hot water, cooking and central heating. We set the thermostat to somewhere between 18 and 20 degrees in the winter and we use a fan in the summer (no a/c). We are a one car house by choice, using a combination of car, bicycles, walking and public transport to get around - we are about 15 minutes walk to a train station and I am 25 minutes walk from my work and 2 minutes walk from our local school.

Our average daily usage figures are:

Electricity 7.5 kWh
Gas 144 MJ/day (not great we have trouble keeping our house warm in the winter)
Water 67 L/person/day

Twelve months ago this week we had 1 kW of solar panels installed on our roof (WNW facing) and during the last 12 months we have:

Generated 1170 kWh
Exported 615 kWh
Imported 1987 kWh

Next I would love to put insulation in our walls but it's a big job. I would also like to have solar hot water but we don't have a lot of suitable roof space (which is why our PVs are on the WNW roof).

Looking forward to some interesting discussions and learning how others improve their energy efficiency on this forum. :)
lillypilly
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Introduce yourself