Victorian 5 star energy rating con

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Victorian 5 star energy rating con

Postby karlajensen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 pm

Ignorance is amazing.
Like the whole earthing the panels debate - it's not until i actually got my spark toook the earthing off
held his hand on the roof and panel frames did he believe me it was possible, and he was surprised at the decent tingle it gives.
not to mention the BS on the whole lightning strike issue with guys coming up with all kinds of unsupported rubbish.
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Cherokee Solar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Pah,

The whole 5 star rating system is garbage. The house that I owner built was rated at 5.7 stars and last night it got down to 0 degrees yet inside it was 12.5 degrees with no additional heating over night. Over summer the hottest it gets inside is 26 degrees.

The walls are timber at 200mm thick with R3.5 insulation plus fire rating materials. Plus the same insulation is in the floor and R6.0 in the roof. Plus I collect my own water, treat sewage with a worm farm and return the vermicast to the soil, and generate my own power etc. etc.. :)

The rating system is skewed to favour project builders for brick veneer houses on slabs. Nuff said.
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby renew » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:24 pm

The thing that concerns me most is that a high value can be obtained in a rating score with a less than adeqaute building. The converse is also true where I am aware of a passive solar domestic residence that performs extremely well in ACTUAL energy consumption yet has a poor star rating.

The assertion that the Building Code makes it very difficult to design any structure that is NOT passive solar very difficult needs scrutiny.
renew
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Previous

Return to Energy Efficiency