flouros on a dimmer switch

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

flouros on a dimmer switch

Postby Paulo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:26 pm

I am looking into getting energy saving flouros in my house but i have a few dimmer switches, i have tried the dimmer friendly flouros but they still dont work do i need different dimmer switches?
Not quite renewable energy related but nearly there.

paulo
Paulo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: flouros on a dimmer switch

Postby markd » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:36 pm

There are two types of dimmer - leading edge and trailing edge. Trailing edge are more expensive but may be the thing that will work.

I have used pre-installed dimmers in my place (and they would only be the leading edge types) and they dimmed fine. You should get some result even with them. When you say they don't work what do you mean - no difference at all? Dare I say are you sure you are using dimmable flouro's? Sorry

Mark
markd
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Paulo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:04 am

Thanks for the reply Mark,
Yes the dimmers didnt dim just flickered then turned off, and yes i used the dimmerble ones infact I have tried 2 different sorts now and same result.

Paulo
Paulo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby beagles » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:35 pm

I would have thought it's a question of "what is the purpose of the dimmer switch"? To reduce the energy usage further, or to achieve a lower lighting level for effect?

If you want mood lighting, just use a lower wattage cfl and throw the dimmer away??? ;-)

If you want to stick with a dimmer to achieve differing levels of light from the same unit, then look at efficient halogen, or LED globes that can be dimmed?

Just my thoughts...
beagles
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby markd » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:16 pm

Paulo,

I am a bit stumped on why they wouldn't work. The only thing I can suggest is perhaps the dimmer switches you have require a minimum load before they will work. Some are rated this way - say a minimum of 10w draw before they will do anything. You really need to have the specs for the dimmer switches to check this - different manufacturers and types within the same range have different characteristics.

I would keep your dimmable flouros and persist - replace one of your dimmer switches with a new one (read the specs) and see what happens. Check out somewhere with a decent supply of them on the shelf (Bunnings as much as I hate to promote them), look for one that may actually say it is suitable for dimming dimmable cfl's and give one a go. If it doesn't work take it back...did I say that?

Mark
markd
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby relaxedcamper » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:12 pm

We purchased dimmable Compact fluros and the 'buzz' drived us mad after just a few hours when dimmed down. They were made for dimming but the noise was really bad, so we opted for energy efficient halogen lights that were quoted to use 50% less energy against the normal incandesent globe, but it dimms fantastic and the moodo of the light is soft and warm, not cold and sterile as with some CFL.

We use the dimmers in the hallway to light up the kids rooms at nigh.
Network = POWERCOR - Retailer = ORIGIN - 11 Sharp 180w Panels NUSOE3E - Fronius IG 20 IP45 Inverter - 1.98KW Grid Interactive System - DUX SunPro 415L 3 Flat Panels Solar Hot Water - 26,600 Lts Rain Water - 8 Chooks - North of Geelong Victoria
relaxedcamper
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Millsy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for anyone who might know. I have read or heard somewhere that even when you use dimmer switches and dim the lights it doesnt use any less power. Is this the case? do modern dimmer switches and bulbs reduce power usage?

Thanks
Gareth.
Millsy
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby markd » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi,

yes they do - the sum of what the dimmer consumes combined with the cfl would be considerably less than an ordinary bulb. Check the watt consumption specs for each and compare watt for watt

Mark
markd
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Return to Energy Efficiency