Air-conditioning

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Air-conditioning

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:10 pm

470rigby wrote:I've been quoted 8L/hr for the Coolerdo unit that consumes 600W; both figures being managable for me.

That sounds quite reasonable. Their EERs (although no doubt the numbers on the web site are the US version, rather than ours) are very high, so 600W should do a lot of cooling work. The best reverse cycle AC I can find is a small Mitsubishi unit that has an EER (cooling) of 4.8 and a COP (heating) of 4.9, which is a long way ahead of any larger (5+kW) units, and would be drawing 5-600W running at rated power. Its really only enough for a large room or 2 though.

Unlike a swampy that is pushing wet air down from the ceiling to a window.

...and growing mould behind the cupboard at the same time! We had a lot of days over summer when the dew point was in the range 20-25C, a swamp cooler would have been useless.

For me, reverse cycle A/C's (even more efficient inverter types) are non-starters because I rarely run the cooling (or heating at maximum) during day when surplus PV output is available, so it would have to run off the batteries after sunset. I simply don't have enough battery capacity.

The one I mentioned above would certrainly do to let you get to sleep at night whilst only using a few hundred watts, rather than lying in a pool of sweat, continually turning over so the fan can evaporate it from the top side of you.

I see AC cooling as another use for my pumped water hydro electric storage system- I should be able to run 500W at night for hours with no battery impact.

In Europe, Solar HWS storage is used to run hydronic heating at night, but I can't find anyone here that knows anything about the concept.

I do it, I have 78 evacuated tubes heating water to circulate through hydronics radiators in the house. I posted a pic of the tubes layout a while back in the forums.
I have also set up a heat exchanger so that I can put the hydronics circuit heat into the regular hot water if it is getting a bit cool. Last October it allowed 17 hot showers in just over a day from the 250l solar hot water system, which has no gas or electric boost, and the weather wasn't all that good for it either, being fairly cloudy at the time.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: Air-conditioning

Postby lad » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:37 pm

470rigby wrote: Leaving aside LPG and Wood heaters, for Winter heating there do not seem to be many options when off-grid!

In Europe, Solar HWS storage is used to run hydronic heating at night, but I can't find anyone here that knows anything about the concept.

Use Gordon's approach to capture & store the heat and plumb it in with the tools, pipes & panels from Australian Hydronics Supplies, DIY and it is simple.

http://www.hydronicsupplies.com.au/

I am a very satisfied customer :-)
30 130 W Kyocera panels
Latronics LS7048 inverter
Outback mx 80 reg
12 Exide 4RP1800 batt
Apricius tube 315l H/W & gas boost
Kubota GL-9000 8.5KW diesel gen. 55amp batt. charger
Belvedere 5000 Hydronic heat, heat exch h/water boost

Grid DISCONNECTED
lad
Solar Crusader