What to do about my energy hungry airconditioner?

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: What to do about my energy hungry airconditioner?

Postby bradley.jarvis » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:51 pm

2 words,

nude, fan.

with no humidity the bodies natural cooling of sweat evaporation from the skin with fan air movement over it would work well i would think. Don't drink cold drinks either. your internal body temp is ~37degrees. When you drink icy water your body thinks its cold so will start to warm you up. once the liquid is warm you will feel warmer. Drink room temperature or warm drinks.

Also you should try offsetting the temperature so if it's 40degrees outside then run the aircon down to 35degrees (not 25), the bigger the difference between inside and outside the energy used to do it will go up exponentially. This goes for heating and cooling.

We had temperatures of almost 50degrees here in Victoria during the bushfire (we lived in Warragul and one of the fires came pretty close with a hot northerly) We didn't have and air condition just ceiling fans and had no problem with the heat and working.

At last you now know why there are always brown outs with the power over summer, esp on the hot days. Everyone with their power hungry air-con on (that and the electrical system overheads easier due to the temperature). It always annoyed me when we lost power because of everyone else running air-conditioners. Very inconsiderate.

Thanks, Brad

BTW, what do you do when you have to go outside in the 40degree heat?
Living off-grid and loving it!
bradley.jarvis
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby DoctorI » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:09 am

Hi All

To bring this thread to a conclusion. We have purchased some cheap pedestal fans (2 x 45 W instead of 1100 W) and have opted to allow the house to be a little warmer (28 deg NOT 35 deg). These pedestal fans have proved much better thatn the aircon during the very humid week we have just had.

And to answer the question, 'What do we do when we go out in the 40 deg heat?'
1) As little as possible. (Even the aborigines do nothing more than sit in the shade. Then again thats all some of them do all year round.)
2) Slip , Slop, Slap etc.
3) Mow the lawn, tend the garden etc.
4) Plan the day so that there is no need to go out during the hottest part of the day.

Thanks for your input.
1.5 kW PV and solar hot water installed Nov 2011.
DoctorI
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby zoeleonard20 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:46 pm

Modern air conditioners are quite efficient - you get something like 3-3.5 times as much heat for your money verses something like an electric fan heater.
Even if its old, its still going to be more efficient than any sort of electrical resistance heating - but it might only be 1.2 times, not 3 or 3.5 times.
You don't say if it goes through a brick or fibro wall. Patching up the inside hole just needs plasterboard, filler and a bit of skill.
zoeleonard20
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby wcyeng » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:27 am

terryw wrote:Hi Doctor1

I don't want to seem critical....but do you really need aircon in Alice? I lived there a few decades back and we survived easily without aircon. Try getting used to being hot. It's not so bad.

Otherwise...plant trees, trees and more trees.

Good luck

I once heard a relatively large tree is equivalent to cooling power of 20 air-conditioning units. that is without even using electrical energy... Plant more...
wcyeng
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby bradley.jarvis » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:38 am

wcyeng wrote:

I don't want to seem critical....but do you really need aircon in Alice? I lived there a few decades back and we survived easily without aircon. Try getting used to being hot. It's not so bad.

Good luck

I once heard a relatively large tree is equivalent to cooling power of 20 air-conditioning units. that is without even using electrical energy... Plant more...

I couldn't agree more, and once the tree reaches it's end of life it is turned into fuel and building material, space is cleared for the next generation of tree, that is renew-ability! The problem we want instant solutions to problems and a tree needed to cool and area will take at least a few years, you definitely have to look at the long term though and trees are cheap long-term solution.

Thanks, Brad
Living off-grid and loving it!
bradley.jarvis
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby DoctorI » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:10 am

bradley.jarvis wrote:
wcyeng wrote:

Good luck

I couldn't agree more, and once the tree reaches it's end of life it is turned into fuel and building material, space is cleared for the next generation of tree, that is renew-ability! The problem we want instant solutions to problems and a tree needed to cool and area will take at least a few years, you definitely have to look at the long term though and trees are cheap long-term solution.

Thanks, Brad

Hi Guys
Thanks for the input.
The point about getting acclimatised to warmer temperatures is a good one and works if you have control of the temperture of the airconditioning in your workplace like I do. Unfortunately my wife works in the Hospital and has no control and has been unable to acclimatise.
With regard to planting trees. Yes it will work to a limited extent, since I would not plant sizable trees too close to the house for two reasons, 1. when the trees grow too tall they will shade the solar panels, 2. when the seasonal storms rip through town many trees are uprooted and I don't want the inconvenience of a tree landing on my house, 3. incase you hadn't noticed the rainfall out here in the desert doesn't lend itself to growing trees without the addition of copious amounts of water which is pumped up from over 140m underground using vast quantities of energy.
In short I have learnt to live with what I now understand to be a relatively energy efficient airconditioner and will continue to do so for the next two months before I transfer to Perth thanks to a promotion. So note, we don't all have the luxury of using long term solutions.

Cheers
Doctor I
DoctorI
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby wcyeng » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Doctor
Try to see if this helps, http://www.ien.dk/cooltek/COOLTEK%20features.pdf
they do not need to grow their own tree but make use of trees near the place

Note
Malaysia has Hi humidity, and full of sunlight. So temperature are usually around 32-35 degree C.
wcyeng
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Currently, we have lived in COOLTEK for only a short time, but already we realise we have a comfortable e environment which we can control precisely to whatever temperature we choose at a very low cost. So far, we have run the air conditioned night and day to achieve a temperature of 24 o C, using just 8 units of electricity in a twenty-four hour period

Interesting post.. Just goes to show what CAN be achieved..

Were you building, then there are some sound suggestions in the article, and there is nothing really new in the ideas.. Good reinforcement of what can be achieved at a reasonable cost..
Just add some good old Australian Verandas.
Dig a deep well and use it in place of the concrete pipe ??? (but be sure it is serviceable for the day that it needs to be pumped out -- Assuming the normal water-table is lower..)
A deep well could be a practical answer to the difficulties of "Block Size" and long trenching and buried pipes, and in Centralia, there would be lots of machines for digging wells.
Warm air enters the top and is sucked from the bottom of the hole via a "Coaxial" pipe to the well floor.
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby wcyeng » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Building in Malaysia

This building had been used as a reference for some of our clients.

Well servicing is less if put in things like Insect Netting, make sure the inlet is off the ground.
wcyeng
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby conklinc » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:58 am

DocI,

I was thinking in terms of "adding on" or more correctly "adding down." Basements are much cooler and much
warmer . . . in the right seasons. But, with a concrete floor, "fagedaboudit!" About 5 years ago in the States I switched from evaporative cooling to AC, and while the juice meter started spinning like crazy, we were much more comfy. We replaced our windows with low UV glassed ones and that really made a difference too. You might consider that. One other but be sure to close the vents since you're ducted. I'm no physical science expert, but I've been told the maximum efficiency of an evaporative cooler is 20 degrees F. lower than ambient temp, due to the laws of nature. I guess that is why we enjoyed the AC over the evaporative so much.

Prolly the best option and cheapest in the long run, would be to increase the size of your array so that you have the juice to run the cooler, and could then even use AC. Hey, if the sun is shining you've got electricity to use.
conklinc
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency