Renovation - Doing one soon?

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Renovation - Doing one soon?

Postby gwillett » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:25 pm

Some blogs cover changing some halogens for some other globes. Tasks like this sometimes seem (and really are) not cost beneficial. However when you are doing a renovation & intend to live there, then I think it is a worthwhile investment for yourself to live there, with electricity & gas bills coming right down. Also if selling, it adds to the attractiveness of a house if all obvious modern green "things" have been done.
In terms of electricity we did (during our reno):-
1 Safety switchboard, so kids are protected, no matter what they do.
2 We had to have new wire across the road to cater for all our equipment.
3 4kw of solar (I should have gone for the maximum of 5kw that the distributor would allow residential)
4 Insulated the daylights out of the house, along with double glaze windows, which not only thermally insulates, but solved a noise problem on noisy main road.
5 Installed low powered energy recover ventilation, so even on stinking hot days we have fresh, filtered & cooled air (Energy recovery with outgoing air).
6 Induction hob for cooking, super efficient.
7 Only leds & a handful of CFLs (Light fitting came with them). These days you can have warm or cool leds, fantastic range of choice now
8 Yes we spent thousands, but have a house which is between 18 & 23 (Winter & summer), warmer or cooler if we turn on A/C. Quarterly electricity bill $129 last quarter, gas bill $99 for family of 4
9 With underfloor ventilation, ag drain to redirect ground water around house, no more damp or mould anywhere.

We now have a 1922 California Bungalow with extension which is as good as it can be.
gwillett
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Renovation - Doing one soon?

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Gwillett :)

Do you have solar hot water, and what reduction in your energy bills did you see with the renovation work?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: Renovation - Doing one soon?

Postby Tracker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:50 am

gwillett wrote:.
5 Installed low powered energy recover ventilation, so even on stinking hot days we have fresh, filtered & cooled air (Energy recovery with outgoing air).....

out of curiosity... what did that consist of...

The issue with your wish, that you had gone 5kW of PV, is that these days there is little value exporting power to the grid..
I have 4kW and I export massively.. I suspect that you will one day be looking for an energy storage system, but such systems are very hard to justify, financially...

without being patronizing, I think that you have done well, both for you and the environment..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Energy Efficiency