Energy Monitoring Device PV+3Phase Help.

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Energy Monitoring Device PV+3Phase Help.

Postby sij » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

Am hoping that someone can help me.

I need advice on an energy monitoring device which can cater for 3 Phase and a Solar PV system.

I got the efergy hub and it was no good as it could not cater for PV System, my electrician said something to do with bi directional etc that one of the phase is both sending and receiving.

Not being an electrician i need help please.

Regards

Sarit
sij
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Energy Monitoring Device PV+3Phase Help.

Postby Tracker » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:46 am

sij wrote: my electrician said something to do with bi directional etc that one of the phase is both sending and receiving.

You should be able to measure the PV power you generate, by simply measuring power B4 it connects to the house grid.. I am presuming you are talking NET feed..

So, if you can measure the pv power and then the phase power, then you have a hope of calculating the real consumption ...
The genuine issue will be what happens when generation exceeds phase consumption, and you are NETt exporting... I suspect the sensors have no way of determining direction... thus, export will be seen as usage..
The only practical way is to ensure that you are using SSSooo much phase power, that you never/rarely export..

I have never found a device that measures direction... and I admit that I don't understand the technology/theory as to how you determine direction, except by some kind of phase measurement... ie recognising blips and directions..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Energy Monitoring Device PV+3Phase Help.

Postby Bthree » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:50 am

Hi Sarit,

Unfortunately you appear to have picked a brand that does not cater for integrated consumption and solar the only way is to purchase another one and install one on the house consumption and one on the solar output and do a manual visual calculation.

Actually none of the consumer brandsI have looked at sense the itemised usage directly, they usie current transformers on all circuits and calculate and display in software.

Have a google for theowl .. the energy detective .. currentcost
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Energy Efficiency