Is burning wood cheaper than electricity?

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Is burning wood cheaper than electricity?

Postby jimbo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:27 am

From what I can tell I think it's Ironbark. I don't have a lot of it so not too worried.
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby wambledyn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:25 pm

When I was a kid wood burning with a blue flame was a good sign that the wood was burning very efficiently, i.e., not giving off much carbon.
wambledyn
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby hempen » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Yes, blue colour could be due to efficient burning (unburnt carbon is one cause cause of yellow flame).

Or it could be chemicals in the wood, such as copper, chromium and arsenic as would be found in CCA treated timber. When burned, these harmful chemicals are released into the environment through the smoke and also present in the ashes.

Hardwood sleepers (not pine) should burn nicely - long and hot. However, used railway sleepers are not advised as they are usually contaminated - perhaps a cocktail of asbestos (from train brakes), herbicides, heavy metals, creosote, grease, and oil. They also give your chainsaw some grief because of the timber's aged hardness, but more particularly because of the embedded gravel.
hempen
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby jimbo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:48 pm

I'm fairly sure this small amount of hardwood was from a pier that was replaced 25 years ago. Not sure if that stuff has been treated but seems to burn long and hot.
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby planetled » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:41 pm

hempen wrote:However, used railway sleepers are not advised as they are usually contaminated - perhaps a cocktail of asbestos (from train brakes), herbicides, heavy metals, creosote, grease, and oil. They also give your chainsaw some grief because of the timber's aged hardness, but more particularly because of the embedded gravel.

Spot on.
Australian energy efficient LED Lighting, LED Downlights and LED Light Bulbs
http://www.planetled.com.au
planetled
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Don't Panic!

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:01 pm

Just a quick note to let you know that the forum software will be upgraded tomorrow, meaning it will be off the air from about 10am, and should return to operation before noon, EAST, or 2:00 Universal Time.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: Don't Panic!

Postby bpratt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Just a quick note to let you know that the forum software will be upgraded tomorrow, meaning it will be off the air from about 10am, and should return to operation before noon, EAST, or 2:00 Universal Time.

this is a recording... recording .... recording ....

Thought there was a lot of new posts tonight. :)
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby FarmerJohn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Gordon, did you mean to tag that DONT PANIC on the end of this thread?
FarmerJohn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Yes, it was the subject for the post in a number of threads to catch the frequent viewers of active topics- dont panic if the forum vanishes for a while! The plan was to remove the postings afterwards, which I have done, except here where it was replied to ;)
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby ruffraff » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:46 pm

1 cubic metre lasts me approx. 2 weeks (currently mid July in Mirboo North, Victoria) in a Coonara style fire that heats 300 square metres. This is using Manna Gum. If you can get a supply of Redgum and Yellow Box (I wish you luck on the Yellow Box) the usage of wood will probably be less. Soft woods will burn but put out much less heat and will create much more soot etc. in the flue. I have used a split system in the same town that cost $250 per month for combined lounge and kitchen only and was still cold from the knees down and definitely not running all night. I can heat a lounge, 3 bedrooms, bathroom, hall and extra living room with the wood heater. Just be aware that wood heating is dirty in the home ie. wood splinters and dust, ash, some smoke if wood gets wet, cleaning ash out of heater from time to time. You need a dry place, as close as practicable to the house to stack the wood. You seriously don't want want to bring in wood from 500 m away and you will need wood boxes inside and absolutely get some leather gloves. Splinters in your hands get SO annoying! Is it worth it? Much more work but yes, yes, yes. There is NOTHING like the heat from a wood fire. This DOES NOT apply to an open fire.
ruffraff
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency