Fire bricks

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Fire bricks

Postby Gusnella » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Thanks for your info Smurf, I was thinking of making the plate longer than what is there to slow the escaping heat down alittle? Thoughts? Cheers
Gusnella
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby jimbo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:44 pm

BBQ galore supp,y me with an aftermarket baffle for near,y half the price!
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:46 am

The original observation, seemed to be that adding fire bricks slowed the heating process. :cry:
To me that is plain obvious, as the idea of the bricks is to reduce transmission of heat through the case and make that heat available elsewhere (eg. Heating water in a boiler etc...) ..

I would have thought that a designed brick-lined fire box would have another heat transfer system for actual heating.. eg. A wetback, or an air heating equivalent.

So as a big dummy on wood heaters, I wonder what was the hope , in adding the fire bricks.. :?:

My lateral thinking or assumption is that you would want to use bricks for a protection reason..
So, is there a compromise for use of something like ceramic tiles.. something that will protect and conduct..

Just a possibly silly thought... could one add a copper pipe serpentine behind ceramic tiles and pump a heating fluid like glycol through, and add forced air heating ...... :oops:
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Direct contact with flames eventually wears away the steel. It doesn't melt as such or catch fire, but eventually an all-steel firebox ends up with steel about as thick as foil, usually discovered when someone throws a log in and breaks the thinned out firebox. It takes a long time (many years) to happen, but eventually it does. The baffle takes by far the most direct heat so is the first thing to go.

So I'd assume that the primary benefit of firebricks, apart from adding thermal mass to stabilise output over long periods, would be life extension of the heater due to avoiding the flames directly contacting the steel (apart from the baffle).

That said, my 18 year old Saxon is still working nicely and hasn't turned to foil yet. It's an all-steel firebox too so the wearing out problem does take a long time to actually happen.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby FarmerJohn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:40 pm

I suspect that if you burn dry wood then the erosion of the steel ought to be as low as possible. If you burn wet wood, then you will have steam impacting on hot steel and get accelerated rusting, also I suspect it gets a bit acidic in there as well which would make things worse.

Eventually heat + steel + air is going to corrode steel over time anyway but if there are options to make it last longer then they are worth knowing.
FarmerJohn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby flywire » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:24 pm

FarmerJohn wrote:... I need a pro to come and clean it and explain more about it to me I think.

Farmer - :lol:
flywire
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:08 pm

you're about four years late.. :-)
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby flywire » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:45 pm

No, four years ago my heater was OK. Now I'm trying to work out how to do a bit of maintenance on the Coonara. I'm thinking it's a steel box and it's not going to get genuine fire bricks or a genuine grate.

Size is 322mm x 530mm box, fire bricks 160mm high, top of 10mm cast iron grate is 50mm from bottom of box. Any thoughts?
flywire
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Helipos » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:45 pm

flywire wrote: Any thoughts?

Lets start with whats wrong with it?
Helipos
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Energy Efficiency