Time Of Use Tariffs - What is the typical break up

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Time Of Use Tariffs - What is the typical break up

Postby Tracker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:20 pm

One of my aims in going partially Off-Grid, or perhaps "Solar-Assisted Grid Connect", is to use special Solar Panels to generate power, that us directly used during the day, and NONE of which, goes out..

Having just got my first complete bill, after setting up my PV-Assisted system, I began to wonder just what a "TYPICAL" bill looks like.. so, for the 90day billing period, this is what MY consumption looked like.. :cry:

PEAK....................... 410
SHOULDER.................1261
Off PEAK...................1382 .......ie....... 1:3:3

So I have succeeded in both reducing the consumption during the day, and also transferred some of that load to OFF-Peak.. ( Household - 2 semi retired old farts..)

Next door are on TOU and their breakup is.. ( 2 seniors - retired )
PEAK....................... 333
SHOULDER..................740
Off PEAK....................380.........ie.........1:2:1

What does your typical TOU break up look like and what is your home status..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Time Of Use Tariffs - What is the typical break up

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Tracker wrote:PEAK....................... 410
Off PEAK...................1382 .......ie....... 1:3:3

How does that compare with the same quarter last year, assuming the consumption wasn't too different?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: Time Of Use Tariffs - What is the typical break up

Postby Tracker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:How does that compare with the same quarter last year

Unfortunately, not that straight forward.. Just too many changes going on - Changing suppliers.. and

Because, last year I was using another Energy-Diversion project, charging batteries in the Off-Peak and powering the same appliance-circuit during the PEAK period..

For a comparison, the closest corresponding bill from AGL lists
(last year)
PEAK....................... 541
SHOULDER.................1507
Off PEAK...................1480 .......ie....... 1:3:3 (again) --- Total 3528

My estimate of the amount of Solar Power delivered directly to the house is about 600kWH (from a crude power meter) during the period

(This Year)
PEAK....................... 410
Off PEAK...................1382 .......ie....... 1:3:3 ................Total 3051

So the absolute decrease is fairly consistent, if not conservative, as we have not "Worried" about controlling power, this year..
In fact, with the Solar-Assist, I found that we would turn on the Air-Cond, even when it was not absolutely needed...

WHY.. :evil: - :idea: - Because the batteries were in full float and the Solar Power was going nowhere .. Use it or lose it..!
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Energy Efficiency