Can Evac Tubes Gravity Feed?

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Can Evac Tubes Gravity Feed?

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:47 am

Less than 15m, which will give you about 150kPa, will still work. It's just a matter of making sure you have enough pressure to operate things like instantaneous gas water heaters (if you are going to use one), as they require a minimum pressure to work. I used to have a Bosch unit that worked ok with about 5m head or about 50kPa... back in the days when I had a shower head tied to a tree and an outdoor bath ;)
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Cherokee Solar » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:18 am

Hi Shebee,

Make sure you use large diameter pipe for the connections between tanks as this will reduce friction losses in the pipes. By large diameter I mean 1 1/2 to 2 inch ag pipe. The black pipe with the blue stripe is the way to go. The green striped pipe can only handle lower pressure and it may pop if you add in a pump! :shock:

There's not a huge difference in cost in the larger pipes, but you'll notice the difference at the tap. ;)
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Shebee » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks Gordon and Chris.

Gordon, I remember showering the same way under a tree, but with water boiled on the stove and bucketed into a canvas bag when my parents built their house 30 years ago :D .

My Dad built his house the proper way, mixed all his own concrete, made all the mudbricks, put on the roof and even did a lot of the plumbing himself.

I have the cheek to call myself an owner-builder but have had the slab laid for us (just took the plastic off it and it has boot prints all over our exposed floor :evil: ) the pre-made wall frames arrived at 7 this morning (my Dad would die if he saw how rough the timbers are) and there is really not a lot that we will do structurally but we don't have the skills that he does and he still works full time so cant build it for us ;) .

Our house will be a vastly different beast to the one my Dad built and I grew up in but this experience and the home we plan to create is at least as important as the structure we are building :D .
Shebee
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby jimbo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Where abouts are you building? Are you on a few acres?
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Shebee » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Hey Jimbo, we are between Ballarat and Beaufort and are on 6 acres. Where are you?

I just wanted to drop in and say I have been chatting to Andrew from Run on Sun today and I am so excited and pleased to have spoken with someone who could answer ALL of my questions about his products and a whole host of them that were related as well! Such a pleasure to talk with someone who knows their stuff and is happy to take the time to explain things and share info and experience! Thank you to the other knowledgable person who put me onto him :D !

So I am completely sold! I will be purchasing a 250litre Run on Sun, close coupled evac tube system, with wetback connection and will probably have to connect a gas booster into the system too. He was also able to advise on that and happily discussed the pros of using a 6m tank stand with an inline pump, which looks like a better option for moving water than any other I've looked at so far.

I had heard of inline pumps before but had no idea how they work or what they are used for and now I do! I can feel some of Andrews :ugeek: rubbing off on me :geek: , I think I like it ;) !

Oh, I just thought of another question for anyone with knowledge of inline pumps. Would it be possible to just run the inline pump on a line to some water outlets (like the HWS and shower etc) and just gravity feed from the tank to others (like the toilet)? Would it mean a whole lot of extra plumbing to separate lines?

The inline pump Andrew spoke of delivers <22 litres per minute. (Is that really enough for a 4 person house, with one bathroom?), it uses 120watts when on and nothing when it isn't. He says he has saved $50.00 a quarter on his bills since changing from a regular pressure pump which spikes on start up. $50.00 a quarter in kWh terms is a substantial saving!

Such a pleasure! And my Homer Simpson brain only kicked in once :lol: .

Would highly recommend anyone looking at Solar hot water give Andrew a call!
Shebee
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby jimbo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:33 pm

I'm also between Ballarat and Beaufort. 6 acres is a good size block.
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:31 pm

Shebee wrote:...just gravity feed from the tank to ... the toilet?

Surely you aren't going to take perfectly good drinking water and poo in it? :shock:

A waterless composting toilet will save you water and electricty for pumping!

We have a Clivus Multrum here.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby BlueSky » Wed May 29, 2013 4:43 pm

I have been toying with this system from SolarOz

http://www.solaroz.com.au/downloads/Sol ... System.pdf

Its evac tube, low pressure, gravity feed ,2kw backup element with option of wetback...
Cant seem to track down anyone here in Adelaide with one, but you may in melbourne as they
are distributed there...There China built and cheap so not sure of the quality, would love to
hear from someone with one thats been installed for a few years
BlueSky
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby bpratt » Wed May 29, 2013 5:28 pm

Interesting link that one.

Found something else on that site :-
http://solaroz.com.au/shop/complete-sys ... d_170.html

Sounds like an option for those who have a working resistive system, but want to change to a solar hot water system at the lowest price possible.

Gives you a EVT system, whilst not dumping a working resistive tank.

Just wondering how something like this would work with a heat pump hot water system ? Would it provide any electrical savings ?

I've heard of some heat pump systems failing just outside of warranty, but require the whole system being replaced, as the heat pump is integral to the tank . One of these would let you continue to use the tank, although you wouldn't have a way of heating it if no sun.
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Fri May 31, 2013 10:46 am

:? What's a thermowell... :cry: ... why do they manufacture technical names..?

Is it a temp. Sensor.

I would not like the idea of drilling the tank, unless it only contacts the inner cylinder..
Seems to be half way or similar... for a boost function I guess.. :idea:

Many cylinders have spare connection points eg. L/R... would've been simple to bend a sealed tube up into the central area and thread the sensor in..

I had thought about EVT CONVERSION myself . Would clearly prefer a conversion option, which means you have the "forever" option of any standard tank.. ie .. I bet a EVT tank is more expensive :| .... got you bytha ....

Whatever happened to the LAWS about HW conversion ... no one tries to stop me from buying resistive tanks.
No one ever tells me about 2010/12..

What a joke..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency