LED Floodlights

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: LED Floodlights

Postby lantern » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:44 pm

lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:52 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:I would think the only way to legally use this light would be to put the whole power supply inside a junction box, ....

What about fitting an approved CLIPSAL JB in place of the unprotected one..
Surely that would make it "Safe"

( Other than not knowing what the actual switcher/supply does )
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:27 pm

I don't plan to use the existing power supply, as it clearly isn't approved for use in Australia, and quality is a big unknown. Also, it is mounted directly over the (quite large) heat sink, so is going to get hot in that position- which wouldn't help with longevity.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:21 am

And when you think of the design, large boxes on top of the device, will buggar up normal convection...
Not all that bright when you think of it..

What is that light supposed to be... is it just a down light.. I'm looking for LED "pencil" spots...
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:43 am

Not a spot light- just a general room light, beam angle unknown, but the "lens" is translucent milky, so the light will be well spread. I'm sure you can find it based on the part number I gave earlier for the full specs, I wont promote it with a link.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Quokka2 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:20 pm

jimbo wrote:Not having much luck with our CFL downlights.

We put Osram CFLs in our kitchen downlights in the mid 90's when they were new and cost about $20 each, from memory. These lights had fairly large bases which sealed the gap around the reflector when they were screwed in, which we thought would stop the flies getting in from the roof space and also enable the aluminium relector to act as a heat sink. I wrote the date on every one and most lasted only about 3 years, not as long as your average incandescent.

When I saw a photo of a test rig used to test these lights some years later, they were all mounted on a bench pointing at the ceiling - now why didn't I think of that :lol:
Quokka2
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Fri May 03, 2013 9:26 pm

I have never had had any luck with CFL lasting very long.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:16 pm

The very early CFL's (1980's) lasted a long time but the modern ones are a bit "hit and miss".

I'd take a guess that "screw in" LED's as replacement for incandescent will end up the same way. The ones you can buy today, are probably the most durable that will ever be sold. Buy on in 10 years' time and it will cost $5 and have a design life of 4000 hours.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Sat May 04, 2013 8:53 am

Smurf1976 wrote:The very early CFL's (1980's) lasted a long time but the modern ones are a bit "hit and miss"..

And how right you are... we converted our home's ceiling fittings to PLC cfl's in the 80s and many bulbs are still original..
Other plug in bulbs were replaced when the stupid government was giving bulbs away, and all have needed replacement..

We wait to see how these LED bulbs last... :roll:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Sat May 04, 2013 1:51 pm

$5 bulb that lasts 4000hrs or $20 bulb that lasts 20,000hrs when you think about it I don't mind the 4000hr job for $5. If you only get 4 years vs 20yrs but when you consider the price difference between the two if you purchase the $5 bulb the $15 cash can be in your bank for 4 year earning interest and you factor in in inflation over the 20 years $5 will be next to nothing by then.

There wouldn't be much in it between the two over the 20 years.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency