LED Floodlights

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: LED Floodlights

Postby AC-DC » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:49 am

Hi All,

I have posted a new link to a blog post here on Why 2012 seems to be the year that LED Lighting will take off and in response to a comment from ZZSSTT:

AC-DC wrote:None of this, by the way, is directed at "AC-DC", as whilst I don't recall an explicit statement of relationship with acdcledlights or Bill Norris Air Conditioning, the avatar and username are certainly not trying to hide it.

I thought I had made it clear about my affiliations with ACDC LED Lights in the Welcome Yourself Forum

Hope that clears things up for all and shows my commitment to providing quality information and not just sales literature :-)
AC-DC
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:21 pm

The cob style led chips have got my attention. I have been using a tiny cob style chip in a battery powered bike light . Its extremely bright although probably a little over driven (over volted ) as it gets hot without wind running over it when the bike is moving.

I had noticed a few outdoor flood lights that use the same larger cob style chips.It looks like just recently there are many options now in gu10 style down light replacement's. Some using generous sized led cob chips.

From my limited experience the cob style seem to be the brightest and most efficient of the led chips.

Cob style led down light

I am going to try out a few 12w cob style gu10's and compare them with my 12w - 3 x 4w led gu10's. I have the feeling the cob style will be much closer to the light output of a 50w halogen than the older style.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby zzsstt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:59 pm

AC-DC wrote:I thought I had made it clear about my affiliations with ACDC LED Lights in the Welcome Yourself Forum

Indeed, and had I read that forum I would have seen it! It is unfortunate that I even have to "ask the question", but the vast majority of information is in fact advertising (see the current thread about CNG vehicles!), and we have had several resellers impersonating customers in an attempt to sell product.

Hopefully you will filter the advertorials, and link only to "facts". I for one am quite happy to read genuine information, but marketing and hype leaves me cold and (IMHO) does not serve the industry well.

Welcome!
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 pm

I was looking at the 10w and 15w kits from http://www.wattsaver.com.au/solar_lighting.html

They don't look like to bad value when you break down the cost of individual parts. The 10w DC floodlight consumes around 0.8 A so if you had it on a motion sensor or even just a timer you could have it on for 6hrs. 6pm to midnight you would only consume 5ah so even a Tiny 20ah agm (I have a stack of them laying around) They would only see 25% DOD with 5ah load. 20w is a small panel but should be able to put back the 5ah into the battery on a good day.And not look to large or ugly on a pole .

I was thinking of using one to light up the path between my house and my shed or perhaps mounting it to the outside of the shed up high pointing down. Even at the entrance gate to my property as guests often drive past as there is no street lighting (again pointing down as not to great light pollution)

I still haven't got lighting for inside my new shed as I am on the fence about what direction to go. I was thinking t5 tubes but I don't like the toxic mess potential - power factor and a few other negatives . so i am still researching led options.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby zzsstt » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:07 am

I have purchased lights from Wattsaver in the past, with mixed results. The first batch were very good, with the exception of a DOA that was fixed very quickly and without fuss. My last order however was more mixed. The lights were still OK, but there were some delays and lack of communication - I don't like having to ask where my order is, I prefer a supplier to let me know when it will be delayed for a period of several weeks. After waiting for "new stock" I was then told that the colour I wanted wasn't available (so waiting for new stock served no purpose) and when the order eventually arrived I had been sent a 180degree unit when the order was for a 90degree.......

I do not know whether they are becoming victims of their own success and are simply over-stretched, or whether staff changes or other projects have resulted in them taking their eye off the ball. Either way, an outright recommendation is hard to give, but they are still better than many companies I have dealt with and the products themselves seems to be good.
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:07 pm

AC-DC wrote: ACDC LED Lights

I purchased a 16W LED (LD-CL-16w-CL1 LED Light) last year for future use, and took it out of the box today and realised that despite this on the website specifications:

"15.Certificates CE FCC RoHS "

there doesn't appear to be any claim to comply with Australian Standards, and I suspect the reason is the exposed terminal block on the back, which I would think does not comply. The terminal block apparently has an "INUPT" of 85-265VAC!

I would think the only way to legally use this light would be to put the whole power supply inside a junction box, and run the 16-18V DC from there to the LED. Interestingly the power supply is 1W according to what is written on the outside, but thankfully, it is 18W on the inside.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:36 pm

I guess that's one reason to go for the 12v led fixtures/floodlights at least you can use your own power supply and if they make a mess of the 12v side of things its a little more forgiving.

I really think 2013 is the year of the led with retail shops starting to catch on and competition and consumer demand playing its part.There are some good lights out there now with light output & light quality advantages that out way other lighting options. Not just on paper but live up to it when you get them home.

The prices are coming down to more reasonable price point to. Like most new things ...Remember when HDMI cables cost a minimum of $60 to $300 what a scam and fools purchased them at that price to ! I picked up some HDMI cables for $3 the other day . What about usb memory sticks I remember when you were doing well to pay $1 - MB now its around $1- 1000MB :lol: I'm sure there are plenty more examples.

Led light price will be the same when they completely dominate and become the mainstream standard.

kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Inspector » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:I purchased a 16W LED (LD-CL-16w-CL1 LED Light) last year for future use, and took it out of the box today and realised that despite this on the website specifications:

"15.Certificates CE FCC RoHS "

CE is meaningless in Oz. It's a European Certification scheme.
FCC is (if I'm correct) relating to communications interference requirements (again an o/s standard).
RoHS means the device is made from harmless materials (ie: no dangerous substances like lead, etc).

there doesn't appear to be any claim to comply with Australian Standards, and I suspect the reason is the exposed terminal block on the back, which I would think does not comply. The terminal block apparently has an "INUPT" of 85-265VAC!

AFAIK there is no need for a 240v globe to comply with any particular Australian Standard. The Electricity Supply Act mentions about equipment being safe to connect to supply (which would also mean "no exposed terminals"), and lists a swag of items which are classified as "declared/prescribed articles" - of which 240v (and 12v) globes are not one of. What is required to be approved/certified is the driver (or "power supply" as referred to in the Act) which is where I find (increasingly more often) whole houses full of non-certified LED drivers "made in China".

I would think the only way to legally use this light would be to put the whole power supply inside a junction box, and run the 16-18V DC from there to the LED. Interestingly the power supply is 1W according to what is written on the outside, but thankfully, it is 18W on the inside.

I think the only time when the "power supply" is not required to be certified is when it's integral to the light fitting (not simply enclosed i a junction box as you mentioned) - however the entire light fitting itself (as a complete unit) may need to be...
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept".
Inspector
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Here it is:

exposed-terminals.jpg
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:45 pm

I would just do away with that terminal block altogether.

kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency