Normal Fridge Thermostat into Freezer?

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Normal Fridge Thermostat into Freezer?

Postby Jaffasoft » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:45 am

Will the fridge break if it runs lying down on its back and also would the stand up freezer break if I run that full time on its back?
Jaffasoft
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:11 am

... .. .. .. .. .. ... ... .... .... ....YES

.. ... ... . . .. .. .. ... .. ... . . . :mrgreen:

..... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . But we won't get technical about it..!
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:30 am

Most fridges are designed to operate in a certain orientation, in order for the refrigerant and lubrication to stay in the correct places. Tipping it 90 degrees is likely to result in an early death, if it will even operate properly at all.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Jaffasoft » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 am

Tracker wrote:. . . . . . . . . . . . . But we won't get technical about it..!

Your not going to let me live that comment down tracker :D . Probably a little selfish of me since I'm not the only one reading the forum other may like it Technical :!: . So express to your Hearts content!

At midday today on checking the fridge (really the Freezer) it has turned itself off I just opened the door and its chilled on the sides so I think its been on.

I might buy a special electricity reading meter to see what it uses over a period of months, days ect. Anyone know I one of these to recormend?
Jaffasoft
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Point being that if you want to try something, you need to know the technical details, of what the hell you are doing.
Like - there is OIL in the bottom of the compressor, and the compressor has an inlet hole to the compressor, and there is a good chance that laying the compressor on it's side will place the compressor inlet UNDER the oil lever and then it will pump the oil and BLOW the compressor..
Apart from anything else the Motor/Compressor is sitting on top of springs, designed to hold the assembly centrally within the compressor canister.. Lay it over and it WILL rest on the side of the vessel..

Now - if you want to take an upright freezer and make a LONG chest freezer, then you could be lucky and there MIGHT be enough pipe work to allow you to twist the motor into the right orientation.

BUT - the first question I asked was what type of freezer it is and that "Technical Detail" has still not been given, but we are still asked for advice, that WILL vary according to the type of freezer..
Giving advice is one thing, but trying to GUESS what we are talking about is called being clairvoyant..

PS - ALDI were trying to sell Plug-In-Meters last week - they work well..
Last edited by Tracker on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Jaffasoft » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:44 pm

Tracker wrote:Now - if you want to take an upright freezer and make a LONG chest freezer, then you could be lucky and there MIGHT be enough pipe work to allow you to twist the motor into the right orientation.

NOW thats smart thinking. And how well would one of these things travel around going in the back of a Van? The old ones had to keep still 20 minutes till plugging in and switching on.

Maybe a motion detector so that it only goes on when stopped.
Jaffasoft
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:01 pm

Jaffasoft wrote: And how well would one of these things travel around going in the back of a Van? The old ones had to keep still 20 minutes till plugging in and switching on.

The keeping still is to allow the lubrication to flow back to where it is supposed to be. Generally you should only transport a fridge in its operating position, otherwise the "oil in the compressor" scenario mentioned by Tracker may well occur, and the sealed unit will probably be stuffed. I don't think its a good idea to be carting a fridge designed to be permanently stationary in a kitchen around in a vehicle. You can get units designed for motion.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Jaffasoft wrote:If i pull the freezer thermostat out and put a fridge one in it's place will it give the desired result of enery efficientcy running the freezer as a fridge?

:idea:
Jaffasoft wrote:And how well would one of these things travel around going in the back of a Van? The old ones had to keep still 20 minutes till plugging in and switching on.

How did we get from converting a freezer to a fridge and now to use lying down in a van.

Boy, it would be nice to know what the real thought process was..

WHAT do you really want to do :?:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:53 pm

debe wrote: This is very efficient & the compressor hardly runs at all. My nephew uses it to store crushed ice in @ around 1Deg C. The kit is KC5476- $32. Tempmaster Fridge controler MK 11.

BTW - The original freezer thermostat might have done the job for no cost...

Chest Freezers make great refrigerators, but terribly impractical from an access point of view...
I converted one for use as a Beer-Keg cooler.. Great device, but the condensate was a pain.. Ended up half full of water..

ANYONE - wanting to move a refrigerator/freezer...
Look at the back and at the compressor - ie.. the Steel Pressure Vessel..
Most often there are 2 or 4 pipes on one side (usually the RIGHT (looking at back)) and one on the other.

If you want to move the fridge by laying it on it's side, then lay it with the 2/4 pipes UP..
ie.. Most often, on it's RIGHT side, looking at the front..
BUT to be sure, make sure it's with the multiple pipe side UP
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Energy Efficiency