50% less power consumption of my old fridge

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: 50% less power consumption of my old fridge

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:00 pm

i am happy that our two-person household only consumes 500kWh a year

1.36 kwh a day :shock:

I purchased the most efficient fridge freezer I could find and consumes 0.8 - 1kwh a day So I'm assuming after refrigeration you only have 0.36 or so kwh to play with each day. How are you doing this ? or are you not including gas consumption for cooking or perhaps not cooking?

I could live on 1.36kwh a day in my camper van using engle portable fridge freezer a few led lights though if you included the LPG for cooking 2 meals and a few hot drinks I think i would be pushing it.

I would be interested in a rough break down of your consumption.

But understand if you cant respond as running your laptop for 5 min to respond might push you over days power budget :lol:

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Allen wrote:Tracker, you make me smile. 5 fridges! How much is the price of one?

nothing... sorry, i collect fridges and things...
I may have spent literally a few dollars repairing them, but that is all..

I SMASHED a good fridge with a hammer, to ensure it could never be used again because it drew too much power....

If you knew me, you would really laugh..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Allen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:00 am

Hi offgrid,

sure it is important to know at least the most consuming devices in your flat, if you want to go down to 500kWh/year in a 2-person household. And admittingly you can only reach that level if heating and warm water are not consuming electricity. Both are done by gas in our flat, provided by the landlord.
The most consuming devices in our household are: fridge which takes after my selfmade insulation only 130kWh per year (see http://coolfridge.blogspot.de/). Washingmachine for which i calculated around 100kWh per year (careful: most waschinmachines consume about 10W in stand-by!!! Thats why we disconnect it when not in use by a simple switch just above the waschingmaschine) After that probably cooking stove, which is an induction stove and seems to be not only super fast and reactive but efficient too. Cordless Telephone is always consuming, we have bought the one which uses only 1 or 2 Watt in stand-by. Lights are most LED now, some are still energy-saving bulbs, which will be replaced by LEDs when they die. All stand-by of modem, computer, tv, blue-ray and so on is avoided either because we bought devices that you can completely switsch of or by extra switches. And no, we dont live in a dark cave, we use our devices in a normal fashion except tv we dont use much. TV by the way is large but only consuming 70W (LED/LCD) when running.
I guess you have systamatically buy efficient devices when you buy new ones, dont buying things you dont need (for example we dont need a dryer for our clothes, they dry by themself) and switch off all stand-bys. Its not magic. Its just responsible. And fun when the electricity bill is coming ;)
Allen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:51 am

Allen wrote:Its not magic. Its just responsible. And fun when the electricity bill is coming

and will it make a massive difference to the world - Who Knows... :roll:
Being realistic, much of your energy goes in GAS and you don't pay for that (directly)..!

Were you in Australia, then you would find that your efforts would be largely wasted from a financial viewpoint, as the mongrel Electricity Retailers just keep increasing the service charges, so supplement the falling power usage profits, and the stinking governments approve it, because they SOLD the retail selling rights and now these governments have to support those agencies.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:10 am

Allen,
Looks like you are making a good effort to keep the consumption down.I can see now how you get the low kWh number.

Reading the blog I see the refrigerator is very very small. While most people tend to have over sized refrigerators for there needs in Au I would say on average 400 - 500lt 1/3 of that being a freezer. So typically even the most efficient units are consuming around 350kwh PA by them self. That said your modifications have proven to be very effective.

I do agree that some appliances have high standby consumption but usually old appliances. Its become a green marketing feature now so most new appliances have 1w or less standby consumption.

Unfortunately like others have said your energy consumption from a total consumption perspective is most likely much more. Gas (or what ever fuel is used to heat water) along with delivering that water to your home under pressure. Disposal of your wast water and septic consumes energy to.Any inefficiency losses in delivering your power is absorbed by the provider as well.

In my situation living off grid a lot more of the energy consumption is localized rather than absorbed by another service provider and I have to provide it myself.

First of all My inverter that suplys 240v to my house needs to run 24/7 and that consumes 65w continuously when on (It can be set to standby but its unpractical in my situation to use this feature) So I have 1.56kwh base load just from the inverter. (admittedly its a big hungry 6000w inverter)

Any water I need in the home has to be pumped from rainwater tanks using a 400w pressure pump.

All wast water is then pumped to underground irrigation using a 200w pump along with a air ration pump that consumes 20w continuously (0.48kw a day )

The above three examples are all absorbed when you live on the grid.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby franks » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:54 pm

Im using the electrolux ETM4200 fridge/freezer uses aprox 315kWHr (4 star) per year and becouse it uses a electromechinal thermostat it uses zero power when the compressor is not running, and it dont mind a demand start standby Inverter (Inverter 6 watts in demand start standby)
Many of the Off Grid Grurs recomend the ETM4200
franks
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:39 pm

Mine is also a Electrolux but a larger version 510lt EBE5100SC basically the same fridge just bigger.

My inverter can be set for start standby with a much lower idle consumption but for several reasons i can't use the feature. The main reason is the biolitics septic system has a 20w (or less) air pump that runs 24/7 so no option there. Less critical and I could do away with it but my internet modem needs to run 24/7 for data logging and remote monitoring of my system. I'm not sure about my hard wired smoke alarms and garage door opener to.

Just one small load that needs to be powered 24/7 throws the hole idea out of whack.

So I just accept that I have a 1.5kwh per day base load from the inverter that needs to be factored in.

kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby vk4kij » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:56 pm

franks wrote:Im using the electrolux ETM4200 fridge/freezer uses aprox 315kWHr (4 star) per year and becouse it uses a electromechinal thermostat it uses zero power when the compressor is not running, and it dont mind a demand start standby Inverter (Inverter 6 watts in demand start standby)
Many of the Off Grid Grurs recomend the ETM4200

I have the same fridge, but I cannot get it to work with the inverter in standby (Selectronics), when I try the fridge refuses to start until you turn it off at the power point.

Power usage for the house of 3 adults is 1.25kWh in Winter to just under 2kWh per day in summer, hot water and stove on lpg.

Ian.
vk4kij
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:24 pm

franks wrote:Im using the electrolux ETM4200 fridge/freezer uses aprox 315kWHr (4 star) per year and becouse it uses a electromechinal thermostat it uses zero power when the compressor is not running, and it dont mind a demand start standby Inverter (Inverter 6 watts in demand start standby)
Many of the Off Grid Gurus recommend the ETM4200

Is that a frost free fridge/freezer..?
I doubt that ANY frost free fridge uses NO standby power.. They ALL have a timer to control the defrost cycle and it uses a tiny motor to run it..
If the inverter drops out under no demand, then the timer-motor does not draw enough power..
This could be an advantage, as it would mean that you will have less chance that it will do a defrost at a time of no demand.. ie.. More chance it will defrost during the day, when the sun's-a-shining..

If the fridge wont start after the inverter goes NiNi, then it aint a mechanical device and surely is electronic....
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Mine is electronic (some model line of fridge just a larger size) and yes it has a defrost though its a smart defrost that adjust to how often you open the door.

normal ....regular defrost timing(what ever that is)

eco... minimal defrosting based on last time door opened

vacation ..... I think its 24hrs without door opened it goes into vacation mode and dose very minimal defrost if any at all.

When we go away from the house for a few days it's always gone into Vacation mode when we come home but switches back to normal once the doors opened the first time.

People next door they have the smaller ETM4200 on a tiny off grid system I will ask them if they can use standby mode.

Power usage for the house of 3 adults is 1.25kWh in Winter to just under 2kWh per day in summer, hot water and stove on lpg.

Dose that number 1.25kwh and 2kwh include the self consumption of your selectronics inverter?
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency