50% less power consumption of my old fridge

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

But how practical..?

Postby Tracker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:55 am

How much usable space did you loose..?

It was a rather small fridge in the first place and hardly representative of a normal domestic family fridge..

With most normal fridges, the "COOLING" takes place on the side walls.. ie. the real heat is far closer to the cooling space..
With a normal fridge, I would suspect that the best result would come from Insulating the sides..
Not too practical with the shelves etc.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: 50% less power consumption of my old fridge

Postby Allen » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:44 am

Thank you Tracker for adressing these questions.

1. I did loose the vegetable cooler and 2cm at the inner backwall. We never did use the vegetable cooler before so we dont think its a loss. The 2cm in the back we dont miss neither cause still all our vessels and our backing tray fit inside the fridge. Most insulation is outside where there is enough space.
2. It is a small fridge fitting to our small household and decent food management. But nothing is wrong with insulating medium or big or even huge fridges. Of course one should think in the first place whether one needs a big firdge cause usually they consume more energy.
3. I dont know what a "normal" fridge is, but true: Some fridges have the cooling coils integrated in the walls at the side or back and definately you should not insulate these walls from outside. Insulating the inside of would be an efficient thing to do, but at the side walls its difficult with the shelves as you said. The back side might be possible - and it was in our case. Insulating every other part of the fridge would still be useful in such fridges, cause that would make the kompressor run less often and that again would heat the cooling coils less often which again makes the kompressor run less often and so on ;)

Allen
Allen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:10 am

Clearly the life style is different...... either you eat out often or you shop daily.
In my house (gasp) , we have five fridges and freezers.. and they are constantly full of food etc.
Do we save by buying in bulk???... I dont know, but it is the way we live.And.it works for us.

I must admit that I would be most annoyed if I was paying heaps to keep the milk cold..
The mod would be very suitable for alternate life styles and weekenders.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:22 am

Ps... for anyone thinking of this mod.. turn on the fridge and then feel for where it is getting warm on the outside. It will likely be EITHER on the back or on the sides....

You must not put insulation on the outside, where it gets warm, but elsewhere, insulation on the outside would help..eg. if the sides get warm, then insulation at the back could make a difference..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Allen » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:38 am

You got five fridges and freezers??? Gosh, why do i bother insulating my fridge if you got 5 of them?? In the light of that my effort seems not useful. ach, i will not save the world lol! Is saving money really so important? I know that saving money can be very very important for poorer people. Having bought 5 fridges and freezers tells me that you cant be poor. And you can pay the electricity bill for these. And a car to get all that food.

Sure my lifestyle in a city is different. Coming home on my fast and sexy bicycle i stop at the local store and buy what i need for the next 2 otr 3 days. Sure the local store is more expensive than the supermarket, but i like the guy at the store and since i do not waste money for a car i dont care. And yes we go out eating maybe 3 or 4 times a week. Of course it costs more than cooking at home )though in Berlin it is really not expensive and good food at the restaurants) but is part the good things in life.

Once i lived in the countryside too, that time it was in Norway. I needed definately a car, a small Volkswagen Polo. Still i had only one fridge....maybe because its so cold there ;) ? lol

Greetings. Allen.
Allen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Allen » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:44 am

You are right Tracker, one should identify the condenser, because one should never insulate it. Same for the evaporator inside the fridge. Here are some practical tips and thoughts for anybody who is considering to insulate his fridge:

http://coolfridge.blogspot.de/2011/12/p ... ridge.html
Allen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:02 am

BTW - The 5 fridges/freezers mainly run on Solar.... So I have the best of both worlds..!
It would be interesting to be able to calculate the energy we each consume, just by living..
It is one thing to ride to work.. That does save energy.. But I wonder what would happen if SOoo many rode to work, that city roads became gridlocked and the generally essential traffic wasted even more fuel..

But the reality is that someone uses energy to keep you alive.. You might be saving by the life style, but someone else has the food you need it their fridge, waiting for you to get it. OR someone howls it in their fridge, until you turn up for your take-away..
You could argue how inexpensive your utilities are, because you use the laundromat , but that energy is still being used..

So, how much does one actually SAVE, as distinct to "Pay For"..?
I know there will be a difference, but HOW MUCH energy does it take to just LIVE and exist.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:56 am

I'm interested in the logic behind running 5 fridges.

Admittedly I don't know your own situation but wouldn't one large fridge and perhaps one big chest freezer hold more than enough food for a average family even if shopping irregularly .

Most dairy and vegetables and so on have a limited life of say 2 - 4 weeks even when refrigerated. So one large fridge 500lt should be more than enough to hold the monthly turnover there .

The freezer as a long term stock of food I can understand but again wouldn't one large chest freezer be more than enough. It would have to be more efficient to just run the two than five.

Having a excess of Pv KWh power to play with perhaps you might not see it as a issue but wouldn't your 5 fridges and or freezers contribute significantly to the strain on the battery overnight.

We run a 510lt fridge/freezer and we find that a good size for the three of us. It uses 1kwh sometimes less a day. Perhaps if we were stocking bulk meat by purchasing a hole beast that we have considered then I could see the need for a chest freezer.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:54 pm

Gasp.. :oops: ... is the appropriate response, to 5 fridges
I know it's excessive, but ironically, there is little available space for new produce..
There's 2 upright freezers - FULL.
1 all fridge, and two Fridge/Freezers.. ( 1 top mount and 1 SBS )

We buy FISH in bulk and spend days preparing and freezing it, and then meat in bulk and similar for it..

We could downsize, but it's costing us nothing.. ;)

PS - When I go full ISLAND, you can be sure we will modify our extravagant ways..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Allen » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Tracker, you make me smile. 5 fridges! How much is the price of one? Lets say you run each 10 years, so you would need to buy a new one every 2 years. You ought to calculate that into the bill of maybe saving money. Maybe you just forget to buy a new fridge/freezer after one of them dies? Down-sizing is the trend ;). But you made me relax a bit by telling me that they are running on solar power ;). Mine is running 100% on wind and sun and water, and 1 cent per kWh the supplier pays into the construction of new devices to produce renewable energy.
The energy or CO2 footprint of one person is a very very interesting thing and everybody should know his in my opinion. But unfortunately its extremely difficult to calculate. I did it once in a small museum/institute about energy. So far i learnt that even a solar panel is the second best choice after reducing or avoiding energy consumption. Because the solar panel needs to be produced and transported. So the first 2 or 3 years its energy balance is negative. And i learnt that the things we buy have a huge impact on the energy footprint. Everything we buy has a energy burden. Personally i am obsessed with elecrtricity in my home and i am happy that our two-person household only consumes 500kWh a year...but we consume much more by buying things and eating (especially meat).

In general i try to live with the following rules: avoid, reduce, reuse, recycle. And: some values are not very high rated for me: owning things, saving money. And that i feel makes me more free ;)

Greetings. Allen!
Allen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency