Time of Use Metering Question

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Time of Use Metering Question

Postby Nedkelly » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi all,
I now have time of use metering. Also a new solar system, 1.5kw, producing on average around 8 units per day, average consumption is about 25 units a day.
With Nett Metering installed, any excess i make is paid at 20 cents a unit.
Most of my power usage is at night in the off peak period.
My question is, do i adjust my appliances to run during the day, using all the power i produce, or,
do i run my appliances at night in the off peak, paying 8 cents a unit, Then i sell back all my excess units that i have generated, at 20 cents each, effectivley getting paid double the price i have used them at?
I have just started a billing cycle, and am going with using cheaper power at night, building up my generated units of power, for the next 3 months,
after that, i may try the other method, use all i produce during the day, and some off peak power from the grid at night.
This may seem like a silly question, but i think one worth looking into. my average bill without the aid of solar, was about $650, (after consessions), i figure generating 7 to 8 units a day, wont be much of saving off my bill, for such a big outlay for the system. I should have done more homework, before i agreed to the installation, mabey gotten a bigger system.
Thanks in advance for any help
Nedkelly
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Time of Use Metering Question

Postby Tracker » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:50 pm

Nedkelly wrote:......any excess i make is paid at 20 cents a unit..... or, do i run my appliances at night in the off peak, paying 8 cents a unit,

The simple reality is that 20 is greater than 8 :!:

So the more you use at 8, the more you can sell at 20..
IF you are selling it at 20, then you are not USING it at 40c (PEAK), so you could consider the real difference as 60c..
( I'de make a good Politician - eh! )

Summer is here, and you will need cooling of any form DURING the day. You have no choice then..

PS - Welcome aboard !

PPS
"I should have done more homework, before i agreed to the installation,"

But remember that costs will increase considerably into the future.. With controlled use and some generation, YOU , will be doing better than most others.
Was it origin who declared a 30% profit increase, at a time that they are saying they need to spend wildly on Infrastructure etc.
WE are being ripped off - BIG TIME !
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:18 pm

You would be much better off by shifting as much of your power use to the off-peak period as possible since you're paying 60% less at this time.

It will be a little bit better for the environment too - the best outcome both financially and environmentally is that your solar displaces PEAK time consumption. So run the dishwasher etc at night when you can.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Nedkelly » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks for the answers folks,
It takes a lot of thinking to work out the best way to save money on power.
That was one of my questions, and your answers have helped me greatly. So yes, i intend to shift all the appliances i can to off peak time, looking forward to seeing a reduction in my overpriced bill!
Thanks again,
Cheers
Nedkelly
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Geoff Bensley » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:38 pm

I have found on the north coast of nsw that Time of Use is helpful to households in about 60% of cases.A few calculations from your power bills will tell you whether it is worth it.If you scroll thru your electricity meter or bill you will find totals for A,B and C.These are A : Peak ,B: Shoulder and C: Off Peak.A and B are the same Peak tariff but C is off peak.If the total of A and B are less than the total of C I would say you are best getting charged at Time of Use tariff instead of residential/ general tariff.
For commercial metering you need to be using over $2000 per quarter and open 7 days a week to maybe make Time of Use tariff worthwhile ,do some calculations to see.
Geoff Bensley
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:14 am

Geoff Bensley wrote:I have found on the north coast of nsw that Time of Use is helpful to households in about 60% of cases..

It would be interesting to see examples of how this applies... is it just coincidental, that the 60% are working all day.
Conversely, why does the other 40% have no benefit. Ie. Not interested in changing usage, or at home and needing power in those pm peak periods.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby bpratt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:24 am

I was thinking much the same thing, 60% are working throughout the day, and their at home lifestyle allows them to utilise shoulder and offpeak times to do most of their home duties.

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to properly and accurately assess the power cost increases to those who have no real choice but to live in their houses of the daytime (read peak time), and who are well and truly in bed before offpeak time comes in to effect ?? It's the pensioners and the infirm, as well as the young families who seem destined to be paying a hell of a lot more with ToU tariffs.
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:05 pm

bpratt wrote:It's the pensioners and the infirm, as well as the young families who seem destined to be paying a hell of a lot more with ToU tariffs.

Ita Vero..

and still THEY keep saying that it's the Solar Bonus and 60c FIT, that has caused all the misery...

Power shifting is clearly the only real way of surviving, but how many can afford the cost of batteries and chargers and inverters, and charge in the Off-Peak and USE during the PEAK..
Naturally..
The next progression is to add Solar Panels and use them to charge those Watt-Blotters, and then
- well it's Bye-Bye .. Mr. Grid..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby bpratt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:06 pm

Tracker wrote:Power shifting is clearly the only real way of surviving,

That's right, the less fortunate end of town are just the ones that can not shift their power usage out of the peak times and in to the offpeak time.

Sadly they can not afford to go offgrid or even the batteries to charge in offpeak to utilise the power via an inverter during the peak times.

When we eventually sell here and move on, the long term plan is eventually go offgrid, as I can see the time coming when there's no FiT's and even if we still have flat rate tariffs, they'll be stupidly high and supply charges will make offgrid a 'no brainer'.
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Geoff Bensley » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:37 pm

With Time of Use tariff in the Essential Energy area of North Coast NSW we are on Off Peak rate 55% of the time ie 10pm to 7am Monday to Friday and all weekend.If you can use your dishwasher or washing machine during these hours ( which at home people should be able to achieve) they will save money.My parents are in their 80s ,home all day and they are on TOU tariff saving about $48 per quarter compared to normal residential Peak tariff.Your electricity bill will have 3 separate kWh figures beside the same meter number (if you have a TOU meter),these are the Peak,Shoulder and Off Peak usage figures.Use these figures to work out if it worthwhile changing to TOU.Some Electricity Retailers dont say which kWh figure is which so you need to scroll thru your electricity meter ( it has a button that you keep pushing to scroll thru the different tariffs).
A or 1 is Peak ,B or 2 is Shoulder and C or 3 is Off Peak.Be smart with your electricity usage and you will save money,it has been too cheap for too long.Until we realize that Thorium Reactors can help (they can be used to kill plutonium)too generate electricity with little effect on the environment then we will be stuck with Coal or Gas Generators for Base Load power.
Geoff Bensley
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Next

Return to Energy Efficiency