Cutting your energy bill.??. Don't try this at home, kids.

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Cutting your energy bill.??. Don't try this at home, kids.

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:13 pm

Some tools won't bring the demand start feature on, such as my 1100W Bosch angle grinder, in such cases the inverter had to be manually set to on. In any case, its not an issue these days as the inverter is always on, running this solar and weather monitoring laptop.

Tracker wrote:BTW - Gordon, your comment about a 300V pulse concerns me because I have distributed suppression around the house and the MOV's are 275V.. Hmmmm? :oops:

Measure the peak to peak voltage of the mains sometime... ;)
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby gyro » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi
I have possibly the same inverter/charger as you have 6000 watts with 18000 peak, the charger blew up in mine so now I have 2 x 24 volt smart chargers running across the batteries in series and set on timer for 2 hours on the 9 cent rate. The trick is to also connect a 1.7 kw solar array and a 400 watt wind turbine through "WELLSEE" controller turn on your inverter at 7 am then run until battery light changes to red (around 46 volts) most nights I have to switch back to the grid around 9 pm and by then all the major cooking etc is done. My power bill went down from $460.00 a quarter to just $82.00 and that was before I connected the wind turbine so I expect to cut it down even further. Started my mini-hydro project and when completed should produce around 800 watts when raining with intermittent supply canterlevering the Archimedes screw from what water is available other times.
Antonius
gyro
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:54 pm

gyro wrote:My power bill went down from $460.00 a quarter to just $82.00

That's what we would all like to achieve. Again , mine is a PowerStar W7, and I do hope the charger keeps it's end up.

I am thinking of adding PV to it: perhaps not 1.7Kw but I will see what real-estate permits.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Percul8or » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:06 pm

Hi,

I just came across this thread. I went down the same path last week and am pretty disappointed with the results.

Have you gone any further with your trials?

I also got a Power Star W7 24 volt and and a bit surprised at the power it wastes just sitting there waiting for the fridge to come in. About 3.5 amps (80-90 watts) The standby option will not allow the fridge to kick in when it needs to.

I had hopes to charge it all up 10pm to 7am at off peak rate of now 9 cents and then use it to run my fridge and flat screen at shoulder and peak times.

I only have 2 x 110 amp hour marine batteries that I got new for free and hence justifying the project. I had planned to get two more if the project looked viable.

I don't even make it to 2pm (start of peak weekdays) using only the fridge and the batteries are virtually gone.

7 am to 2pm = 7 hours * 3.5 amps (80+ watts) is 24.5 amp hours plus fridge (still getting numbers) but 200 watts is being indicated. That's a bit over 8 amps. It gets a bit confusing here as when the fridge kick in it does not add the 200 watts. The wasted standby power is absobed into the total with the LCD display on the inverter showing 6% Assume it is 6% of 3000 = 180 watts or 7.5 amps. Duty cycle 40% ??? is 2.8 hours @ 7.5 amps. That is 21 amp hours plus standby of 24 and we are at 45 amp hours
There is also a defrost that kick in using 400 watts every so often.

All up pretty depressing after trying to beat the power companies at their own game...
Any feedback appreciated. I'll post more number when that come to hand.
Last edited by Percul8or on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Percul8or
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:53 pm

I'd suggest adding some PV panels to charge/maintain the batteries during the day, which should be enough to at least cover the waste of the Powerstar inverter-charger, and preferably be enough to cover some or all of the fridge use too. Say one or two 200W panels, they are getting more affordable these days. If you select your panels well, you may even get by without a regulator for this sort of application.

Then add more panels and more batteries and disconnect the mains :lol:
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby gyro » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi
My inverter is 48 volts DC with 6000 watt output and 1800 watts surge capacity it dimms the lights a bit when the house pump starts when battery voltage drops below 46 volts it cuts out when voltage drops below 40 volts which is good as it helps protect the batteries. I was told the higher the input voltage of the inverter the lower the stand by current. When the 48 volt inverter is in standby with charger disconnected it hardly registers on my amp meter so I'm sure the inverter/charger system is not a good idea if you are trying to save electricity. My chargers are set to only come on after midnight and then only if the batteries are below 46 volts and the only time I use the inverter is after 10 am and then only to 10pm any other time using the inverter has no benefit. My battery bank has capacity of 360 amp hours and can easily run everything in my home during the 12 hour peak period.
gyro
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:49 pm

gyro wrote:Hi
My inverter is 48 volts DC with 6000 watt output and 1800 watts surge capacity...

That has to be 600W output or 18000W surge, it makes no sense otherwise.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby gyro » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:03 am

OOOSP that is 6000 and 18000 missed a "0" my typo :lol:
gyro
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Percul8or » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:53 pm

State of Charge Sealed or Flooded Lead Acid Gel battery AGM battery
100% 12.70+ 12.85+ 12.80+
75% 12.4 12.65 12.6
50% 12.2 12.35 12.3
25% 12 12 12
0% 11.8 11.8 11.8

Above out of alignment but you can work it out.
Gyro way too low. 11.8 * 4 is 47.2 volts. You are killing your batteries by allowing them to go to less than 0% charge. For max life keep them above 75% ie 49.6 volts. Buy more battreies so you can have this reserve power.
Percul8or
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby gyro » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi Percul8tor
Strange as it may seem I have a set of 4 x 100 AH batteries that have been in service now for just under 5 years they are only UPS type as initially they were only used for UPS for about 8 Months. They are still coming up to 12.7 volts even when regularly taken down to 10.5 volts in daily cycles so I guess I am lucky because I hear so many people having failures. I think deep cycle batteries should not be drained too quickly as I fear this may damage them more.
gyro
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency