Which is the most efficient Hot Water Storage Tank

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Which is the most efficient Hot Water Storage Tank

Postby kesa32 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi Mick , if you do go a split solar system you can always add extra insulation around the storage tank ( i seen like a custom made product somewhere that wraps/fits over the unit........think an insulation company makes it )/Otherwise you could enclose the unit in somthing custom made of your choice of building material and insulate that......do'nt know how that goes Re insurance and building codes though
Also make sure the plumber fully insulates all piping ( amazing how many dont bother) i even insulated the relief valve and pipe as they act as a small heat sink as well :D
kesa32
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Alex Morrow » Mon May 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Gordon

Do you have any suggestions for suitable insulating material/s? (Sorry for drifting away from original topic.)

I also tried to find some pipe insulation for fitting to the hot pipe - again ran into the problem of fitting it after the pipes were installed, and suitability for tank water collection.

Alex
14 Sharp 170W panels with Fronius IG30 inverter
9 REC 235W panels with SMA2000HF inverter
Edwards LX305(2) solar hot water system
pvoutput: Spotted Gums A, Spotted Gums B
Alex Morrow
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon May 23, 2011 9:40 pm

Alex Morrow wrote:Do you have any suggestions for suitable insulating material/s? (Sorry for drifting away from original topic.)

Well, given how cheap roof insulation batts are currently available for, I'm thinking that they could be wrapped in tough plastic bags of some sort to seal the fibres in and maybe even another layer of something over that, then a thin galvanised steel or aluminium cover over that.
I've got a 1000l stainless steel tank for my hydronics water heating thats still not plumbed in, but I plan to insulate that with foil backed mineral wool, maybe 2 layers, then thin gal steel, then probably a steel framed box over the lot. Water or sun wont be able to get to the insulation, but I wont have to worry about any stray fibres getting into the water, although I notice on the insulation packs that the fibre is biosoluble and not considered hazardous... but you still wouldn't want it in your drinking water.

I also tried to find some pipe insulation for fitting to the hot pipe - again ran into the problem of fitting it after the pipes were installed, and suitability for tank water collection.

If you are unable to pull the fittings apart, then perhaps you can slit the foam tube lengthwise and put it over the pipes, with suitable tape over that to hold it in place.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Alex Morrow » Tue May 24, 2011 6:49 am

"f you are unable to pull the fittings apart, then perhaps you can slit the foam tube lengthwise and put it over the pipes, with suitable tape over that to hold it in place."

Yes - exactly what I did on the hot outlet pipe, though that was nearly three years ago, and I'm sure it all needs replacing by now.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll get up one of these days and remove the cover and see what's underneath and what there's room for.

Alex
14 Sharp 170W panels with Fronius IG30 inverter
9 REC 235W panels with SMA2000HF inverter
Edwards LX305(2) solar hot water system
pvoutput: Spotted Gums A, Spotted Gums B
Alex Morrow
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby greenenergy76 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:14 am

I was just thinking about the insulation question that was posed above. It seems to me that anytime we can insulate we will decrease the loss of heat from these storage tanks. I do believe that all tanks are going to lose a little heat over time, this is natural. However, I am a little concerned about investing before knowing. Great topic, however, I seem to be an uninformed as everyone else!
greenenergy76
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:18 am

mick_queensland wrote:I am still going to use an aussie made stainless storage tank for my new hot water system, I was just hoping to see how it would perform against other makes and models.

I would have assumed :roll: that most storage tanks are basically Electric-Heater tanks, and thus they would comply with whatever standards apply to resistive-heated devices.
I would assume that a tank specially made for a Solar System, could thus be less efficient, if there were minimal standards.
I am aware that tanks for Heat-Pumps (at least) had to be tested for thermal efficiency.. I might be wrong.

I think (depending on aesthetics), I would be buying a roll of Foil-Lined glass-fibre and wrap any tank in it and seal it up.
You could easily get a tent maker or sail maker to stitch up a rain-coat with velcro-joiners and make it look even neater with a canvas coat.

As mentioned, you can purchase foam insulation from Air-Cond suppliers. for all pipes.
Start with a neat fit tube, and then an oversize one that can wrap around and double-insulate.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Energy Efficiency