What to do with the Twin Fridges, Yeikes

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

What to do with the Twin Fridges, Yeikes

Postby karlajensen » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:55 pm

http://www.estrading.com.au/fisher-payk ... /i1017495/

Turns out the fridges I have, which are HUGE I might add at 440L a pop and they are side by side.

use a whopping 583KW/hrs a year each!

well bugger me if that aint 3.2KW a day 1/2 or more of which is in valuable sun hours!

I've got it set to the warmer ends of the scale on both the freezer and fridge but those suckers are costing me a little under $1 a day.

guess thats cheap next to a stand alone off grid system to run them -would be cheaper to replace with more efficient fridges!
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: What to do with the Twin Fridges, Yeikes

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:13 am

Add more insulation- the larger the fridge, the less surface area per volume, so they should be more efficient than a smaller fridge, if they have the same amount of insulation. Heat gain through the walls is where most of the power consumption is going. Of course, you are stuffed if the fridges have that ridiculous modern "design feature" of coils built into the walls, rather than at the back.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Energy Efficiency