LED Lights, Marketing vs reality. Mk II

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: LED Lights, Marketing vs reality. Mk II

Postby Tracker » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:04 am

dmaunder wrote:What are my options?

Wow - That's the $64K question.. ;)

Depending on where you are, you could check out local wholesalers to see what the latest is in LED replacements.
I can't help wondering how much further we can go... There have been some great developments..

The problem of COST is still significant, even with only 24 downers..

Removing/Replacing transformers is ""USUALLY"" a very simple task, unless they have been hard wired, and that would be most unlikely.. Just flip out the fitting and reach in for the transformer and unplug it from the fitting "In the Ceiling".. Reverse the process for the new one..

To quote the oft' repeated comment "More information needed.. :!: "

Where are you..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Bthree » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:27 am

dmaunder wrote: I have just leased an office 140 sqm with around 24 Halogen down lights. What are my options?

For an office environment you need plenty of good light, I am unsure you will get this with LED replacements of any type.
As part of your lease agreement you should have had a clause to relamp the office before occupancy and at regular intervals as all lighting decreases in output over time including halogan MR16, have a look up into the globes (when off) if they are old they will be smokey and the silver reflector will be tarnished.

My recommendation would be to replace all the globes (assumes they are 50watters) with 35watt 60degree spread high output lights, an easy task that will save you 30% on your lighting bill.

No manhole .... just make one if you want to go further
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:35 pm

Bthree wrote:My recommendation would be to replace all the globes (assumes they are 50watters) with 35watt 60degree spread high output lights, an easy task that will save you 30% on your lighting bill.

Now, I can't claim experience in office lighting, but, the thought of replacing 50W bulbs with 35W ones, would surely give you the proportionality intensity reduction..
and... I thought that I had been told that current (available) technology in LED replacements, was such that the 50W LED replacement was generating the equivalent of 35W..

So, I'm confused at the thought of just saving 30% when the LED equivalent would produce the same (reduced) intensity, but at dramatic power savings...

Something that I would also consider, as an employer, would be to select personal lighting solutions (desk lamps) that would allow employees to control their own lighting needs, especially given that most employees (these days ) are working with computers, and reduced background glare would have to be a plus..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby PeterReefman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:21 am

Hi all

I made a photo essay on the evolution of LED downlights available in Australia from 2007 till 2012. It is anecdotal and by no means exhaustive, but gives a reasonable overview of how far LEDs have come in the last 5 years, and just how good they are now. Bottom line - It's finally time to get LEDs!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30247641@N04/sets/72157629428372261/with/6774290896/
PeterReefman
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Tracker » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:47 am

PeterReefman wrote:Bottom line - It's finally time to get LEDs!

Good Presentation - Shows how we were being conned in the early days - What brand of LED was the final one.

It's to be assumed that all would realise that your presentation is far from exhaustive, and that there are just SOooo many brands, but I suspect that the better brands would be preferred to "Strange" brands.
After all, they are still NOT cheap, and if you hope to get the specified hours, then EBAY is not likely the best place to buy..

I can't help the thought that anyone serious about selling the products, would have a standard 50W Halogen along with the LED product for comparison.. I must say that I don't like the majority of current LED's as they are TOO white.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby PeterReefman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks Tracker - It's a Phillips Master LED.

And you're right some of the older ones were indeed from Ebay. The Phillips 'feels' far superior in quality and durability, and as the photo shows is a good colour.

I'm looking at organising a local (Portland, Vic) bulk purchase in rounds of 1,000 bulbs each round, to help rid some of the multitudes of Halogens out there. Every purchase round should save 87MW (or 12t of CO2 from Brown Coal; or $22k of electricity @25c per kWh) per year based on replacing lights that are on for an average of 6hrs per day.
PeterReefman
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby dmaunder » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:07 am

Thanks Tracker,

Office is in Blackburn South. I will buy a couple of LEDs and see how the process goes. Is the issue with them flickering when doing one on one replacements still a problem?
dmaunder
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby dmaunder » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:21 am

PeterReefman wrote:Bottom line - It's finally time to get LEDs!

Where do we get them for $33 each?
dmaunder
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:35 am

Are they available in anything other than the downlight style? Sure, downlights may be useful in the situation in your presentation, but for general room lighting I think they somewhat less than ideal.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby PeterReefman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:21 am

Dmaunder, actually I was quoting the bulk purchase price I know I can get for the rounds of 1,000. Loose price is more like $42

Gordon yes I agree - the best place for lights is in the room, rather than the roof. And while they don't all seem to be available in Australia yet, Philips have a full range of every type of bulb. Here's the HomeDepot products http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchView?D=philips&Ntt=philips&langId=-15&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&storeId=10051&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&catalogId=10051&Nty=1&s=true&N=172458

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/12w-led-a-dimmable-soft-white/926038 <-- This one in particular

p.s. By the way I don't work for Philips!
PeterReefman
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency