How to best heat the SLAB ?

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: How to best heat the SLAB ?

Postby tonyruff » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:41 pm

I think hydronic heating would be one of the most viable ways to heat the SLAB. Also great if anyone in your family has allergies as this type of system doesn't blow particles around, and you get a consistent comfortable flow of warm air throughout your rooms. I used a company called http://www.hydronicsupplies.com.au/ Mark there was super helpful and I'm sure he could provide advice on evacuated tubes and heat pumps and other options to customise something that is best suited for your specific situation.
tonyruff
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:40 pm

hmm, talk about raising a thread from the dead! Last post Wed Nov 18, 2009
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby munter » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:48 pm

10 years on and its about time to revisit the topic. Since my last post in this thread I have commissioned our solar slab heating. It worked poorly for a couple of years with various different configurations until I hit upon the special combination last season. Now it works reasonably well. 55 heat-pipe evacuated tubes, a single circulating pump and about 100m2 of tiled slab. The feeling of a warm slab underfoot on a cold night is fantastic.
http://renovations08.blogspot.com/ - my energy efficiency blog
munter
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:57 pm

Do you have any (hot) water storage in the system, or does the slab provide all the heat storage?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby munter » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:04 pm

No separate hot water storage in the current configuration (just a small balance tank of <20L to ensure the pump always has feed water). Earlier configurations did have water storage (300L, 400L) but I had problems with these earlier attempts. I suspect that the deletion of storage has helped minimise standing heat losses and maximises collection efficiency as it keeps the maximum temperatures low. It has also simplified the system controls as there is now just a single circulating pump which is controlled by the collector/return water temperature difference. The reaction times of the slab are so slow that it doesn’t really matter than I can’t separately control the circulation through the slab and the circulation through the collector manifolds.
http://renovations08.blogspot.com/ - my energy efficiency blog
munter
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby tonyruff » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:22 pm

10 years is the perfect amount of time to bring a thread back from the dead lol! Good to hear Munter that you finally worked out a combination that works well! Agreed, there's nothing better on a winters night than feeling the warm slab under your feet...especially when enduring a 3am walk to the bathroom! :D
tonyruff
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby australsolarier » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:40 am

55 heat pipes are a bit on the lower margin trying to heat a house.
just wondering what happens to the system in the summer when you do not want to heat your house.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:47 am

australsolarier wrote:55 heat pipes...

Indeed, I was using 78 evacuated tubes with hydronics heaters in the house, and it was enough in sunny weather, but no good when raining/heavy overcast for more than a day. We've since installed a wood heater and use the hydronics heat via a heat exchanger for adding heat to the house hot water (30 evac tubes) in extended cloudy weather, and I plan to also use some heat from it in the bathroom.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Warpspeed » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:15 am

One of the basic problems with slab heating is that its very slow, and really must be kept running continuously twenty four hours per day if its going to maintain a reasonable comfort level.
For that reason its going to be pretty power hungry no matter what the energy source.

My strategy would be to run the slab only to provide absolute minimal tolerable background heating, and employ some quite separate method of bringing individual rooms up to full comfort level very quickly, and only as required.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:31 pm

warpspeed,
ever heard of the heatsink effect?
obviously munter's system is not that much different from the heat sink behind the northern window.

as for solar hot water heating as compared to pv solar heating:
i have both. 100 heat pipes and 3000l storage. 20kwp solar pv. with hindsight i probably wouldn't build the hydronic system anymore. pv works much better in difuse and cloudy light. it is much easier to install the aircon. easier and probably cheaper to install the pv system. also there are no leaks , etc.
having both, i mostly heat with the aircon. but the stored hot water comes in handy when there really is a dark cloudy day. and it is easier on the battery bank early in the morning.
with the hydronic space heating, i had to light the fire between 16 and 45 days a year. the pv brought this down to zero, though light the fire just to burn off some wood.
(for fairness' sake i am at the coast, quite temperate and the house is insulated above average and makeshift double glazed.)
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency