using fire to heat water

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

using fire to heat water

Postby mickson » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:19 pm

....Just wondering if anyone can tell me
1)is there a maximum distance between fire box and hot water tank for thermosiphon to work effectively ?and
2)can such sytems work with 2 fire boxes ,(1 oven/stove and 1 room heater )not nesessarily at the same time?
and
3)what is the most efficient way to 'lag' or insulate thermosiphon piping?

I already have solar hot water,backed up by a'wet back' combustion stove ( which works effectively)and ask if a second fire place(room heater) can be incorperated into such a system? The need arises as the current system,that is combustion stove, is designed for cooking ,not room heating and so combustion stove is only used when in need for oven. Where as the room heater(fire box) is used more and currently not connected to this system,
thank you
mickson
mickson
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: using fire to heat water

Postby Jude » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:05 am

Hi,
This is really great information you have shared with us about fire and water. I am seeking for this from many weeks. Hope u will share more in future.

Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Fri May 13, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: SPAM link removed
Jude
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:54 am

mickson wrote:....Just wondering if anyone can tell me
1)is there a maximum distance between fire box and hot water tank for thermosiphon to work effectively ?

Depends on how well you insulate the pipe, and its diameter! larger diameter ~25mm, is likely to work better

2)can such sytems work with 2 fire boxes ,(1 oven/stove and 1 room heater )not nesessarily at the same time?

no reason why not, but you have to plumb it correctly, ie you do not want to be feeding one wetback with water that is already near boiling temp.

3)what is the most efficient way to 'lag' or insulate thermosiphon piping?

I use that rubber tubing sold by various hardware places, it seems to work ok, but does need protection from sunlight, as UV degrades it.

I... ask if a second fire place(room heater) can be incorperated into such a system? The need arises as the current system,that is combustion stove, is designed for cooking ,not room heating and so combustion stove is only used when in need for oven. Where as the room heater(fire box) is used more and currently not connected to this system,

The hot water from the wetback stove can be easily used for hydronics heating- its an easy way to distribute the heat around the house. I guess it depends on your reasoning, do you not have enough hot water to be able to spare some for house heating, or not want to run the wetback stove any longer than required for cooking?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:59 am

Jude wrote:Hi,
This is really great information you have shared with us about fire and water. I am seeking for this from many weeks. Hope u will share more in future.

Well thankyouverymuch Jude, but your post is before mine, and mickson was asking questions, so you cant be referring to that post, maybe you are a psychic and foresaw that I was about to post today?... or maybe its just another opportunity to post the link to your page?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby mickson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:24 pm

thank you all,
it seems its all ok after discussions with others as well !
25mm copper and correctly plumbed will work
not intended to heat house ,just water.
to others intending to do same:ENSURE HOT WATER LINE CONTINUALLY RISES AND COLD (RETURN TO FIRE BOX)CONTINUALLY FALLS.
this is absolutely necessary as hot air can form and build up in pipe causing likely explosion !
...tried and tested !
mickson
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Energy Efficiency