Smart Meters

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Smart Meters

Postby any_old_id » Tue May 11, 2010 1:13 pm

I can confirm for you that the Smart Meter *must* be configured for measuring feed-in.
(Not very smart if you ask me!)

The manual that comes with the smart meter will show you how to read the various values by using the scroll button. If you can't scroll to the value for feed in, then you meter isn't set up to do it.

** WARNING TO ALL **
My smart meter was put on AFTER my solar, and they had NOT enabled this feature.
It requries a site visit to enable the function.

And then your power billing company has to get their bit right. Mine neglected to allow for the feed in premium - another battle..... (watch you bills!)

Simon.
any_old_id
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby gecko555 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Simon - we have not had a smart meter installed, but could you inform me/us who your electricity supplier is, so l don't have the same "blunder" made when our meter is installed.
gecko555
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby any_old_id » Tue May 18, 2010 1:13 pm

The distributor installs then (although apparently it's contracted out - so who knows who's doing it!)

My retailer is Simple Energy. I've heard similar stories though from others. Sounds like it's not a unique issue to them - not that it makes it any less frustrating....

Cheerio

Simon.
any_old_id
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby rpmccarthy » Wed May 26, 2010 10:54 am

The Google Power Meter can now actually be used here in Australia via the Current Cost monitor, see here for more info:
http://steplight.com.au/2010/05/25/goog ... australia/
rpmccarthy
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Sojin_Muneshi » Mon May 31, 2010 8:58 am

All smartmeters are capable of bi-directional measurement as it is a requirement of the functional specification, however not all are configured to do so on installation, this is to avoid collecting a second data stream full of "nothing", adding additional costs to communications and data storage for the vast majority of installations that still do not have embedded generation. For those with embedded generation the rollout of communications should allow for remote re-configuration.

Provision of in home displays is not a Distributor role under the functional specification, just the zigbee output on the meter. There are already IHDs available in the USA that work with zigbee, local versions are being built to work with smartmeters and there are intended to be trials underway in 2011, the long term outcomes will be driven by customer demand and third party manufacturers, with the ultimate technology of IHD, HAN, integrated energy/security control system being left the customers own preference, including the option not to have one at all?

It is expected IHDs will be purchased directly from retail outlets such as Dick Smith etc, or packaged with energy plans by energy retailers not unlike mobile phones.

regards

Sojin
Sojin_Muneshi
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Location: Melbourne Victoria - CitiPower Network AGL Retailer

Postby PeterM » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:39 am

I have had a new EM1200 fitted a few days ago following installation of a solar setup.
I assume this is NOT a "Smart Meter", just a bi-directional one.
I am with Origin and in Jemena/United area. No bill yet.
Mine is a three-phase supply and I had the solar moved from phase C to phase B a day ago.

How do I interpret the meter readings?
I see Export_ 65.9 kWh
Import______ 5.7 kWh

but if I press the Alt button on my meter I can also see:

___Export__Import
A__32.2____0
B__21.4____4.5
C__20.5____9.5

These last readings don't add to the net numbers. What are they?
PeterM
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Inspector » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:39 pm

While EA doesn't use the EM1200, we do use the EM5100 (three phase) and I would take a guess that the ALT button is displaying instantaneous current and volts for each phase (like the EM5100 does). What other symbols or letters are displayed on the screen with the numbers? The EM5100 actually has additional letters etc at the bottom of the screen to tell you what the numbers mean that you're looking at.
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept".
Inspector
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby PeterM » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:47 pm

Inspector wrote:What other symbols or letters are displayed on the screen with the numbers?

Thanks for your reply!
I have just looked at the meter again. The Alt readings I quoted also show kWh, in the same way that the main readings show the units.
Cycling further into Alt, the meter then shows the instantaneous current (A) and volts (V) for each phase.

BTW. If I hold the Alt button down for a bit the meter says "Offline". Free power :?:
PeterM
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Sojin_Muneshi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:29 am

The EM5100 series of meters is a three phase meter from L&G (Email - Ampy), the EM1200 series of meters is a single phase meter from the same company, are you sure it is an EM1200?

Regards

Sojin
Sojin_Muneshi
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Location: Melbourne Victoria - CitiPower Network AGL Retailer

Postby PeterM » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:46 am

Sojin_Muneshi wrote:.
The EM5100 series of meters is a three phase meter from L&G (Email - Ampy), the EM1200 series of meters is a single phase meter from the same company, are you sure it is an EM1200?

:oops: You are right. I do not KNOW that. There is no label on it. How do I find out? And what if it is an EM5100 - what do the readings mean?
PeterM
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency