Outback offgrid setup upgrade time

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Outback offgrid setup upgrade time

Postby JMowat » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi all,
Back again after 4 years,

4.x Years ago we moved to Wahring, Vic, (10min north for Nagambie)
We had a completely new off grid setup installed, to replace 4x80watt & ex telstra battery that was there.

We had an Outback suite installed.
9x Renesola 250watt
Outback VFX3024E inverter
Outback Flexmax 80
24vdc @ 1500amphour battery back,

It has been very good to us most of the time, we have to run the generator in the evening after few consecutive hot days, due to running the aircon in the bedroom flat out. Also in winter due panel position being poor ,

So we have worked out where on the property nearby gets zero winter shade, so a new 12x18 skillioned (@12o) shed is going there, and all the solar gear is being moved into/onto the shed. with a 240v ac feed going back to the house.

So i would like to upgrade/increase the amount of panels for our setup,

Thinking of adding 2-3 rows of 9 panels giving me a total or 6.75 or 9KW
So heres what i am thinking i need

2-3 Outback Flexmax 80's
1 Outback VFX3024E
18-27 250-290watt panels
Racking and cabling

Anyone have any tip or suggestions or is a Outback dealer that could give me a quote & confirm the stacking of the gear setup

Thanks very much
JamesM
JMowat
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: Outback offgrid setup upgrade time

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:36 pm

I'm not sure how your battery is configured, but now is the time to jump to 48V if you can.

9kW of PV into a 24V battery is going to require 4 or 5 FM80s.

Have a think about mounting the PV panels as a virtual tracker so you aren't trying to shove 350A into your battery at midday.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby JMowat » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks Gordon for the info

Batteries are 12 x 2v 1500amp

Thats a lot of FM80's,

I'll do some more reading up on setting up of the panels in a virtual tracker pattern.
I think the basics are, say setup 3kw with an easterly ideal direction,3kw at straight north & 3kw West ideal direction, thus spreading the peak load
JMowat
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:19 pm

The FM80 will is limited to 80A, 9000W @24V = 375A. Generally you might get only 80% of that (if the charge controllers could handle it), but during cloud edge effect periods you could see over 400A.

You could put 3kW into one FM80 if you put say 1.5kW facing E and 1.5kW facing W, both tilted to face 30deg above the horizon. That will keep max current below 80A.

Virtual Tracker thread here:
solar-wind-gear/topic5064.html
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics