New solar panels

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

New solar panels

Postby crazyk » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi all. I got my hands on the following for free and was wondering what the best setup would be. I'm only new to all this stuff but have lots of research to do and need a kick start.

What I want to use it for:
Run a 50L minibar fridge
Run all my garden lighting (yet to be installed)

Components
4x 12V 100ah Narada gel batteries
48v 1000w Pure wine wave inverter
2x Suntech STP300-24/Ve

So a couple of questions
Is 48v the best setup I should use
Can someone explain a bit about these solar panels. Can they be used to charge any voltage batteries?
What charge controller should I be looking for?

Look forward to the replies.
crazyk
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: New solar panels

Postby davidg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:23 pm

crazyk wrote:2x Suntech STP300-24/Ve

only 2. I suggest 3 panels in series for a 48V battery based system. 48V is a good voltage to use as the current involved should be quite low.

crazyk wrote:Is 48v the best setup I should use
Can someone explain a bit about these solar panels. Can they be used to charge any voltage batteries?
What charge controller should I be looking for?

A TRUE MPPT charge controller, I suggest a 120V+ solar input version with a 30A 48V output to suit the battery pack. Ensure you program the controller with the correct battery details.

Either, Midnite Solar (excellent) or Victron BlueSolar (very good), both good quality charge controllers.

Ensure the idle current for the inverter is under 9 watts when nothing is drawing power from it, or it's very poor inverter to use off-grid.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby crazyk » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. That's given me a bit to go off.

Yeah would of loved a couple more panels but I got them free.

Can I put other brands of panels in or do they all need to be the same?

The inverter is a meanwell TS-1000-248C. It switches to standby mode at <5W and has an off consumption of <1mA
crazyk
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby davidg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:01 pm

crazyk wrote:Yeah would of loved a couple more panels but I got them free.

you can, however on reflection and rechecking the spec of those panels you can use the 2 in series that will work OK with a 48V nominal battery pack, the input voltage for an MPPT charge controller can be 100V now.
Suntech, good brand of panel and have been around a longtime.

crazyk wrote:The inverter is a meanwell TS-1000-248C. It switches to standby mode at <5W and has an off consumption of <1mA

The inverter may or may not work with the/a fridge, there are instances where high frequency inverters do not cope well with fridge motors turning off (backfeed from the motor stopping).

The standby mode power consumption according to the specs ..... ≦6W @ standby saving mode, standby mode does not always work with motor/compressors. OFF MODE CURRENT DRAW ≦1mA, nothing to do with standby mode it's just OFF.

This may or may not work with a fridge it's "really a try and see", ideally for fridge work a pure sinewave LF inverter works better they are heavier physically compared to HF inverters, have better surge current ability, tend to cope with possible back feed surge better.

BTW in this market, cheap is typically crap, you really do get what you pay for.

1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby crazyk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:00 am

Thanks again. I'll keep doing my research but you've definetly give food for thought.

I have read a lot that cheap is generally crap.
crazyk
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby jules » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:04 am

The inverter may or may not work with the/a fridge, there are instances where high frequency inverters do not cope well with fridge motors turning off (backfeed from the motor stopping).

Sorry, I don't want to steal this thread but I'm having a problem with my fridge motor not switching off in one go at the end of a cooling cycle. It often switches on and off a number of times before a relay gives an audible click and it has a rest. I'm wondering if a strategically placed diode, maybe backed by some form of capacitance, would cure the problem if it relates to backfeed.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davidg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:31 am

jules wrote:I'm having a problem with my fridge motor not switching off in one go at the end of a cooling cycle. It often switches on and off a number of times before a relay gives an audible click and it has a rest.

No idea, how old is the fridge, what if any electronics are involved.

Maybe installing a newer "electronic" thermostat would do the trick I've used third party temp controls for all sorts of temp control systems when they hit the set point they just turn off there is no hesitation at all, they do use a couple of watts though and requiring power means either you must use say 12V powered version with a backup battery (very small battery and must be replaceable they fail overtime) or it must have "mains" power available at all times.

An "old style" fridge had/has no electronics at all, simply a "capillary tube" controlled thermostat maybe an electric timer for a defrost cycle that was generally started manually, the motor, the typical refrigerant components, that's was about it, oh and the "light". :)

1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jules » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:56 am

Yes, thanks, a third party temp control would probably be the best way to deal with the problem. Having the fridge repaired would no doubt mean a new circuit board [it's a newish fridge] for a silly price [+labor].
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby crazyk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:59 pm

So this looks like an exact copy of the Morningstar Tristar60 advertised on this forum.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/linkable-suns ... v/p/MP3728
crazyk
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby davidg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:07 pm

crazyk wrote:So this looks like an exact copy of the Morningstar Tristar60 advertised on this forum.

Not an MPPT charge controller at best PWM very overpriced for a clone. If your going Morningstar then go for the real thing "Tristar MPPT".

You want a reliable decent proper MPPT Charge controller "Victron-Energy-BlueSolar", or the "Midnite Solar Kid"

1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics