New solar panels

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: New solar panels

Postby crazyk » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:27 am

I thought I'd do a little tinkering with my setup. It's not complete but I wanted to play with the controller.

So it's all connected and running but I notice that the voltage readout from the PV array jumps around a lot between 23-35V. It's not in full sun. Just standing up against the wall.

Should you typically see the voltage jump around?
crazyk
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby APR » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:11 am

Put the panels out in sunlight and at an appropriate angle. The MPPT may be cycling the load on the panels to try and determine the optimum power point, and is having difficulty because the panels are not getting adequate or full panel coverage sunlight.
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby crazyk » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Cheers thanks for that.

So it's been running most the day and reached a peak batt voltage of 14.4V. It's dropped back to 13.32V with no external loads applied. Might this mean the battery is not good? It started out this morning at 12.4V.
crazyk
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby APR » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:16 pm

The resting voltage of lead acid technology batteries is typically under 13 volt. If the battery pack is unused overnight the battery voltage can be expected to drop to the resting voltage, or close to it, by the next morning.

If you apply say a 1 amp load across a just charged battery pack for around an hour you will remove what is called the surface charge. The voltage you then have will be some indication of the resting voltage of the pack.

A bit of info about LA and SOC by voltage....

http://www.energymatters.com.au/compone ... discharge/
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby crazyk » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:23 pm

[Moderator - no need to quote the entire previous posting, it's just up there ^^^^!]

Great understand. Will also read that article.
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quoting
crazyk
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby crazyk » Sun May 21, 2017 5:14 pm

Hey guys. It's taken me a while to get back into my sole project. I was waiting for some new 12V 190ah batteries.

Anyway quick question.

I connect the charge controller to the common bus bars + /- but where do I take the load off to go to the inverter? Is it the same bus bar that has the incoming voltage from the charge controller?
crazyk
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun May 21, 2017 5:24 pm

The incoming current from the charge controller/bus bars should be at battery voltage, yes that's where you connect your inverter.
If the inverter hasn't got a circuit breaker or switch on the input, it would be a good idea to add a suitable switch/circuit breaker/fuse between battery and inverter, so that you can quickly isolate it from the battery.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby crazyk » Sun May 21, 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks. Yes my charge controller is 48V out same as the batt bank.

If I also wanted to run another 48v load could I connect up to those bus bars? My charge controller does not have load terminals.
crazyk
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun May 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Yes, every nominal 48V input and load can be connected to the bus bars, just make sure you have suitable protection.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Previous

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics