Two inverter system

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: Two inverter system

Postby APR » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:30 pm

davidg wrote:Using a phone app ................... hmm if there is a blackout how do you communicate with the system unless it's direct which also requires you to be at site/home at the time and know how to do it. I think that's a bit of clunky solution personally. #just saying.

When the grid goes down the inverter will stay powered while ever there is solar generation or the battery pack has power. The inverter has WiFi, and is concurrently a network server as well as a client on the local network. A WiFi connection can be made directly to the inverter's WiFi server if the house router is down, or it can be made through the house router WiFi if it is powered up.
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davidg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:43 pm

APR wrote:if the house router is down, or it can be made through the house router WiFi if it is powered up.

Yep that's what I thought, without doing any specific checking. Of course in a blackout the router won't on unless it's on UPS along with other network infrastructure that maybe required.

Fully automated has got to be better any day, and no blackout at all.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:14 pm

davidg wrote:I suspect there's going a be to lot of end users that will only find out after, what they actually paid for is not what they thought they paid for.

Indeed, in casual conversations I have found there is a lot of confusion around batteries. People have an association in their mind: battery = no blackouts, whereas the the case at the moment is that very few of the systems available with a battery will operate during a blackout.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby davidg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:45 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Indeed, in casual conversations I have found there is a lot of confusion around batteries. People have an association in their mind: battery = no blackouts, whereas the the case at the moment is that very few of the systems available with a battery will operate during a blackout.

.................... I was looking at the Bosch BPT-S, I think it is (Looks much like a fridge) a while back. It by default does not handle blackouts at all, without an expensive optional extra automatic changeover switch. Even then you have to sit around for approx 10 seconds before it will finally come online and provide any power. Considering the cost of them, that's just utterly flawed as a solution.

It looks their are going to be plenty of these silly flawed solutions that are expensive and not as good as they should be appearing over the next while .................... so here we go again :( .

1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby APR » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:26 am

davidg wrote:It looks their are going to be plenty of these silly flawed solutions that are expensive and not as good as they should be appearing over the next while .................... so here we go again :( .

I was aware of the operational requirements of the system I have before it was installed, and made myself reasonably aware of other options that were available in the market place.

To comment on your statement... "these silly flawed solutions that are expensive and not as good as they should be", I am not sure where you get the "expensive" bit from. I considered the extra cost of a Sunny Island or Selectronics system when I bought my system, and would have had to cough up an additional $5k minimum up front. I am happy with the direction I have taken, although, I asked the relevant questions and understood what I was getting, and found the manufacturer of my inverter to be 110% with providing answers in response to questions about their product which is more than I can say about SMA and a few other manufacturers of heavy weight off grid hardware.
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:52 am

I think David was using the Bosch battery system as an example- the 10 sec power dropout is flawed design, and have you seen the price of those batteries?
For the same money you could buy 3 of them, or buy a Tesla car and have a bit more storage capacity, plus you get an awesome car for no extra cost!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby APR » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:44 am

Yeah, fair enough Gordon. What I don't like, from memory, about the Bosch system mentioned is the output/temperature derating. Also, of the hybrids available when I was looking for a system, most were pretty light on output wattage, and therefore didn't meet my requirements.

I feel one issue for residents Installing the hybrids available today is that some of these hybrids do have limited output capability when drawing from batteries when the grid goes down. Provided people understand this, I have no issue with them having to manually actuate the inverter's backup/offgrid mode, as it gives them the opportunity to disconnect any heavier draw items before actuating the backup mode.
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:59 am

Indeed, output limits could be a big issue for some. I was speaking to one big name inverter importer last year- the inverter plus battery could deliver a certain amount of power in a blackout, but if you exceeded that limit the inverter dropped out and could not be re-started until the grid came back on. I don't know if firmware upgrades could fix that though.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby davidg » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:the inverter plus battery could deliver a certain amount of power in a blackout, but if you exceeded that limit the inverter dropped out and could not be re-started until the grid came back on.

Oh I remember something about that, yes that's another utterly flawed design idea.

Of course one way to limit power draw is to only have certain CCT's on battery backup power system when in blackout.

1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics