Solar training course for the uneducated

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Solar training course for the uneducated

Postby Bman » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:10 am

Hope this isn't stepping on anyone's toes...
Due to being in a relatively isolated place in regards to where courses are being held and the high cost of some courses and travel, accommodation etc, I went looking for a course or training package that I could do online.
As a mechanic, I know very little about PV systems so fairly basic training was needed.
A lot of the free guides are helpful, but very very basic. I wanted to know enough to understand what was going to happen and what questions I need to ask when I move down to SA from QLD into our unconnected house. I can't call it "off grid" yet as there is no system there yet.
Most of what I could find was aimed at qualified tradespeople that needed to add or update skills.
Eventually I found a course by GSES. I have no connection with them, just found them on google...
I am in the early stages of doing the course and have found it to be EXACTLY what I was looking for.
Cost is just under $300. Seems pretty reasonable compared to what other courses are available.
I felt that when asking questions about solar, I didn't know what all the systems were, or the terminology and so the answers didn't make that much sense.
I appreciate that a lot of you guys are well versed in solar, but there are a few of us (im sure) that know jack smit, but maybe your answers won't fly over my head like a 747 now.
If its permitted, I can share the course info, if not...so be it
It might be another 12 months before we get to our home, yes its a home already, but now is a great time to gather the info/knowledge I will need.
Cheers
Bman
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Solar training course for the uneducated

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:23 am

Hi Bman, yes write about the course if you like- the good and bad features could be handy to know for others thinking about doing a course.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby lantern » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Rainbow Power do a "Living with Solar" course every few weeks for $195. It runs on a Saturday and Sunday.
Next one is 12th & 13th November.
Free camping in the grounds and showers available if required.
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Bman » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Thanks Lantern, but it costs about $400 to fly out of Mount Isa one way to Brisbane or about 19 hours drive to Brisbane. Thats why I was looking for online info.
This the course that I have started https://www.gses.com.au/spsf/
I have found some interesting links in the course notes, one being the University of Oregon's Sun Path Chart Program. You can enter the coordinates of you exact location and get graphs for the whole year
(2x6 month blocks) http://solardat.uoregon.edu/SunChartProgram.html
On a side note, my wife started a new job today as admin at a local electrician/solar installer!!
Bman
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics