What's next (after the end of the GFiT)?

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: What's next (after the end of the GFiT)?

Postby australsolarier » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:44 pm

ok, i received another letter from origin concerning the end of the 60c gross feed in tariff. they are going to install digital remote accessable meters for no charge. they can be switched remotely from gross to net feed in.
i will also get a "special solar feed-in tariff" from them.
if i do not want the remote digital meter i can tell them until 3 weeks and they will not install it.

it will not greatly concern myself anyway, as i am almost ready to go off grid. the solar electrician has yet to connect the house up. i think i will remain connected to the grid until i am confident my system works without much backup. theoretically it should.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby pat » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:05 pm

Yes just got the letter saying the same thing ,sooo rang origin to ask whats the catch ,none was the reply no increase in rate that you are already signed on and no penalty for leaveing origin through year 2017 if not happy with them ... Meter will be remotely read so no meter readers on property and ability to go on line to monitor solar generation and power consumed ...He also advised me that this new meter will eventually be rolled out to all households not just solar panel owners...Same old answer when I asked him about whats this special rate that origin are going to pay me for my power I send back to grid ,don't know yet do they, so I do nothing and it will be installed free of any charge or catches ,YES he answeres and what if its installed in October well we can program it to gross then end of December reprogram it to net so I don't lose out on whats left of 60c fit.. ( nice why the hell did gross meters not have this ability when they rolled them out back in 2010 )Makes me wonder when do I cop the club in the back of the head...Anyway Ive got three weeks to make up my mind about the origin meter before ringing Mark the meter installer and cancel the net meter that I organised eary this year with him , anyone know more on this before I make the wrong decision..Pat the slightly confused solar owner...
pat
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:05 pm

There has been a very slight increase in the recommended FiT in NSW, but it is still optional, so getting nothing for energy exports will no doubt still be the case for some.
http://reneweconomy.com.au/2016/nsw-sol ... ices-28221
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jules » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:46 am

Quote from a Gordon link ...

benefits were confirmed recently in a study by Victorian utility Ausnet, which found that the value of solar and storage was about equal to both consumers (who save money) and the networks (who avoid upgrades).

Over the weekend I was out cycling in a zone about 40km from the nearest medium sized town when, out of nowhere, an instant new satellite zone of McMansions appeared thereby in one month quadrupling the size of a sleepy village that had been there for 100 years.

Rather than upgrading the poles and wires to supply the aircon to this [poorly designed in passive solar terms] instant village wouldn't it be much wiser to require such mini-villages to fit solar panels with enough capacity to slash the peak power requirements of these houses on hot summer days?

Acknowledged: post not directly related to GFiT in one way but very related to the cost of power
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby pat » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:45 am

After hearing some health issues about digital smart meters and the ability for power companys being able to control and monitor your supply remotely Im thinking maybe this is not what I want, so rang Origin again today and told them no dont want it. Will stick with my own net meter installer..
pat
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby pat » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:58 pm

A article in Renew Economy today on nsw solar bonus scheme ends this year what are your options? Worth a look.
pat
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Tracker » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:18 pm

pat wrote:After hearing some health issues about digital smart meters and the ability for power companys being able to control and monitor your supply remotely Im thinking maybe this is not what I want..

I suspect that we WON'T have any final choice..
I doubt that the "Health" issues are as great as suggested, provided there is a small distance between the meter and any beds..
But considering the way we carry stupid mobile phones, KNOWN to cause Mobile-Phone-Cancer, I can't see the meaters being more of an issue... :(
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:29 pm

Re the "healh issues", pretty much every house in Victoria has smart meters now, has there been any surge in illnesses reported? I suspect any illness will be similar to "wind turbine syndrome", ie communicated diseases- you get them when you hear about them.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby pat » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:37 am

Tracker thats what concerns us is the meter box sits on outside wall of one of our bedrooms not more than 9 inches from inside wall and no more than a couple of feet from head of the bed..Our wifi and mobile phone get switched of at night but I can't see that we will have that ability with a smart meter,and yes yor right we will have no choice in the end but accept them.
pat
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:14 am

There is always a choice, but it will cost money- going off grid means no smart meter. In the meantime, can you re-organise the bedroom? It's probably not a good idea to sleep with your head so close to the switchboard.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics