4Kw stream panels advice please

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

4Kw stream panels advice please

Postby bootsnall » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:22 pm

I'm considering using Stream solar panels by Solarig model SE250M-33/D & Kiehl AKO 4600 S inverter all accredited. 18 x 250 w panels in all. Details at http://www.blueskysolarenergy.com.au/pv-panel-info.pdf.
They are going to be installed on a tile roof 20 degree pitch in Brisbane on the due west side 270 degrees as I have no available space anywhere else. I understand the loss of around 10-15% performance cf north roof.

Has anybody had experience with these panels or inverter?

Any further comments would be appreciated as I do not want to end up with a failure on my hands with the large outlay.

Thanks, Barry
bootsnall
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: 4Kw stream panels advice please

Postby bpratt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Never heard of that inverter before, so unless someone comes up and says that it is a stunning inverter, I'd be somewhat wary of it.

Do you have a Eastern roof that's available instead ?

I've got most of my panels on the Eastern side roof, as most of the power is likely to be generated in the cooler part of the day before the panels get too hot.
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:47 pm

bpratt wrote:I've got most of my panels on the Eastern side roof, as most of the power is likely to be generated in the cooler part of the day before the panels get too hot.

and in the least cloudy part of the day for many regions...
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby bootsnall » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 am

West is the largest area & could fit another 8 panels. Majority of North taken up with Solar HWS and rest of N & E with solar heating for pool. Could only fit 2-3 on N space left & I am told that it's not wise to fit facing 2 different areas.
Barry
bootsnall
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby bpratt » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:15 am

bootsnall wrote:West is the largest area & could fit another 8 panels. Majority of North taken up with Solar HWS and rest of N & E with solar heating for pool. Could only fit 2-3 on N space left & I am told that it's not wise to fit facing 2 different areas.
Barry

No worries, just thought I'd mention the eastern side if you had room that wasn't shaded.

By the sound of it, even if the SHW wasn't there, the northern facing roof seems rather smallish by comparison to the western side.

Good luck.
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby bootsnall » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Has anyone installed Sanyo HIT panels? I believe they perform better on western facing areas because of the heat factor in the afternoons.
Comments please.
bootsnall
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby karlajensen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:04 am

West outperforms East anywhere and everywhere despite the alledgedly hotter afternoons.
any data sheet or performance calculation shows just that.

Go to SMA's website and download sunnydesigh for free, play with the orientation and you'll see what i mean.
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:18 am

karlajensen wrote:West outperforms East anywhere and everywhere despite the alledgedly hotter afternoons.

data sheet/performance *calculations*... I wonder how many of them really take into account the higher afternoon temperature and increased afternoon cloudiness in many areas? I certainly make more power in the mornings on trackers, and I see no reason why fixed panels would be any different around this region, other than their lower output. I lose more on top of the temperature and cloud losses due to geography too- my hill blocks out the late afternoon sun for an hour or 2, depending on the season. West facing fixed panels would lose out big time :!:
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby bpratt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:16 am

karlajensen wrote:West outperforms East anywhere and everywhere despite the alledgedly hotter afternoons.

Go to SMA's website and download sunnydesigh for free, play with the orientation and you'll see what i mean.

In SunnyDesign my system does as you describe, but simply viewing Sunny Explorer gives me different results here.

I was clearly getting more generation during the morning, than I do in the afternoon from the eastern side of the roof when my panels were evenly distributed, i.e. 9 panels on each side.

I've since added 6 more panels and moved one from the western side to the eastern side, to give me 16 east and 8 west to maximise my morning generation.

Hopefully soon to upgrade to make it 22 on the eastern side (2 x 11 panels) and 9 on the west.
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby karlajensen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:35 am

Nice,
I knew that comment would give me some stick! :)

And realistically the choice is made based on available roof space, obstructions, shading, aesthetics.
If you had none of those things to worry about the best choice will be BOTH. :D
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics