red light blinking on EM1200 meter, why?

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

red light blinking on EM1200 meter, why?

Postby hutch » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:26 am

I have a solar system ,2.16 kw, and recently united energy came and installed a EM1200 meter, but no information as to how to read this meter.
A red light is up towards the top of this meter, and sometimes it is on constantly, sometimes not on at all, and some times continuously blinking. I have tried to relate the blinking/non blinking to the weather at the time, but there doesnt seem to be any similarity to measure it by, for instance, sometimes we come home after being out all day ,and nothing in the house using power, expect the fridge, and yet the red light is on constantly, then another day it isnt.
This seems to be happening regardless of the sunshine at the time. I am wondering why it would be showing a red light on constantly when we come home , when only the fridge in the house is on, and even the fridge is a modern one, not old at all.

I have tried contacting united energy, to question this, but I cant get past the girl on the phone who tells me, not to worry, there is nothing to worry about, although she doesnt seem to have any idea as to why the light is blinking/not blinking, so obviously she doesnt know herself. But try as I may I cant get to talk to anyone in the technical field who would be able to explain it to me.

United energy did send me a phamplet to read about the meter they installed after I asked them to, but strangely enough, the red light problem of blink/no blink, doesnt get a mention. Can anyone help me with this please, an explanation would be a great help, I eagerly await an answer from someone who would kknow,... thanks in advance, Hutch.
hutch
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: red light blinking on EM1200 meter, why?

Postby richdave » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:55 pm

richdave
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby hutch » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:32 pm

thanks richdave for the reply, as usal we got no where by contacting country energy re that link you gave me to follow up, they said as we are not their customer they wont help us. I am getting used to this lack of help by mean spirited people. So, here we are, still non the wiser as to why this red light blinks or doesnt, depending on WHAT?? we dont know that, that is the question, why does it blink? I contacted united energy, and they didnt seem to know anything about the meter, although they installed it, so they cant answer the query either. Seems we are doomed to not knowing why this thing blinks on and off sometimes, and is static sometimes, as no one seems to know!!! thanks anyway. hutch
hutch
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Bthree » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:28 pm

hutch wrote: still non the wiser as to why this red light blinks or doesnt, depending on WHAT?? we dont know that, that is the question, why does it blink?

The answer lies in the picture of the meter....

1KW / imp

One flash of the red light equales one KWH used
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby cw nsw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Hutch, my electrician told me about that red light when he installed my gross meter, but for the life of me I can't remember what it does :oops: I do remember him saying something about the visual strength of the light though; for instance, if the lid of your meter box was open, then at night time it could be seen from a very long way away (perhaps even daytime, I can't remember). Sorry, all I do remember is that it isn't something to worry about, just something to do with the internals of the gross meter operation ... :)

I guess the Inspector knows :)
cw nsw
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby cw nsw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:43 pm

Bthree

are we talking about the same red light?

(*cough* guess I'll just go and hide my light under a bushel :lol: )
cw nsw
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby hutch » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:18 pm

thanks Bthree, at that rate, I must be using hundreds of KWs a day, I dont think so!!
hutch
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Bthree » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Give up ... don't know ..
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby disenchant@solar » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:53 pm

The answer lies in the picture of the meter....

1KW / imp

One flash of the red light equales one KWH used[/quote]
1Wh per ;) :lol:
disenchant@solar
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby dhlwjs » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:23 pm

The characters by the flashing light suggest one watt hour per flash so if you use 20 kwh per day that would then be 20,000 flashes
dhlwjs
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Next

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics