Another Simply Energy Scam?

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Another Simply Energy Scam?

Postby riteoh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Similar to many people, I attempted to change my provider from SE as soon as my new meter was installed. However the new provider has stated that I am not currently on a 'Premium Feed-In Tarrif' but on a 'Non-Premium Feed-In Tarrif'.
Rang S/E - and their response - yes - that is what they do with ALL of their feed in tarrif customers, until they can be sure (2 -3 billing periods) that they qualify for Premium rates!
I'm sure I didn't see this in the paperwork they sent out to me, and they confirmed had I not made the phone call, then I would have stayed on the non ... rate forever! But due to my complaint, they are sending me out new paperwork for a new contract (hmm - ANOTHER contract!!) and will change me over straight away.
I see this as a rip off given they had to see all my paperwork about what I was installing, and I intend to complain to the ombudsman, as I believe I should have been on the premium rate since my meter changeover in late November.
Has anybody else experience this with Simply Energy?
riteoh
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Another Simply Energy Scam?

Postby kalindriel » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:05 pm

Definitely make a complaint.

I am in NSW so I cannot make a comment on SE. But if the legislation in VIC (I assume) is like the legislation in NSW, there are some VERY significant penalties for them stuffing you around like that.

In NSW, complying with the legislation is a pre requisite to them holding a licence to sell energy. So, if I were you, (and i suspect that i may end up that way with RED energy in NSW) I would also write a letter to the government department who are in charge of it. Ask them to look into it on your behalf and see if that makes any difference.

Kal.
kalindriel
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby relaxedcamper » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:03 pm

Yesterday I received my first bill from Origin Energy for the first three months since we have had our 2kw PV system installed. We were excited to see that our bill contained a bill for only $19.93 owing.

We had produced 615kw to the network and used 550kw for 119 days.

We were excited to see that our bill was made up of just service fees to the property and smart meter charges.

When we looked at the Solar Electricity Buyback rate I was shocked that Origin purchased my 615 KW for 23.5c/KW, not the 60c/KW that I thought the legislation stated in victoria.

BE AWARE. At least with Origin, you have to sign an "OPT IN FORM" that requests that you wish to receive the legislated 60c KW 'Premium FIT" that was legislated by the government and not the standard feed in tariff offered.

Below is the cut/paste section from Origin Energy Feed In Tariff Statement.

Premium Feed-In Tariffs are available to customers who sign a Premium FIT Agreement and meet the following criteria:

Energy sent to the Grid is generated by Solar PV system and is not greater than 5kW.
If the cutomer is residential, the Solar PV system is located at the principle place of residence.
The annual consumption at the property (whether you are a business or residential customer) is less than 100,000kWh per annum.

They WILL NOT back date the credit to the first of Jan 2010.

So based on my experience today, don't assume that just because you have PV on the roof and that your energy provider knows it, that you will automatically be put on the new Premium Feed in Tariff. You have to OPT IN!!!!

How may of you know this or have perhaps already signed this form, or actually like us, didn't know about it at all??
Network = POWERCOR - Retailer = ORIGIN - 11 Sharp 180w Panels NUSOE3E - Fronius IG 20 IP45 Inverter - 1.98KW Grid Interactive System - DUX SunPro 415L 3 Flat Panels Solar Hot Water - 26,600 Lts Rain Water - 8 Chooks - North of Geelong Victoria
relaxedcamper
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby relaxedcamper » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:15 am

solar-wind-rebates/topic827.html

I thought I would tie up these two threads as they are about the same thing and offer furthre reading about the same ongoing problems of premium feed in tariffs and retailer stuff ups.
Network = POWERCOR - Retailer = ORIGIN - 11 Sharp 180w Panels NUSOE3E - Fronius IG 20 IP45 Inverter - 1.98KW Grid Interactive System - DUX SunPro 415L 3 Flat Panels Solar Hot Water - 26,600 Lts Rain Water - 8 Chooks - North of Geelong Victoria
relaxedcamper
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives