j tariff electricity in adelaide

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

j tariff electricity in adelaide

Postby rwhite » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:22 pm

I have an electric scooter and would like to know if I can use the j tarfiff to charge the bike at night in adelaide I am currently using tru engery for my electricity supply and have a 1.1 kva solar grid connect system installed regards rob
rwhite
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: j tariff electricity in adelaide

Postby SoupBones George » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:07 pm

Hi Rwhite. No, unfortunately, you are not allowed to use J Tarriff for any 'normal' type appliance. That tarriff is generally only supplied for storage heating.

Cheers, SoupBones George
Cheers, SoupBones George
SoupBones George
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby BlueSky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:01 am

Hi Im with Tru Enerrgy also...you will find that if you charge your bike between 11pm and 7am you will only
be charged at the "off peak" rate which at present is about 10cents/kw . Outside these times you can be charged anywhere between 17c - 25c/kw depending on the time of year and total monthly usage.....cheers
BlueSky
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby SoupBones George » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Hi BlueSky, I'm afraid your reply isn't correct. In a domestic installation, J tarriff is only connected to storage heaters and is metered seperately. If you look in the switchboard you will see either 2 seperate meters with the spinning disc or an electronic meter which measures 2 different tarriffs. Anything other than storage heating is charged at the higher rates you quoted.
SoupBones George
Cheers, SoupBones George
SoupBones George
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby rwhite » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:12 am

from what I understand I will need to get an electricion to install a seperate extenal outlet from my power box connected to the j tariff circuit which I can use for recharging ? I and get perssion from tru energy to do this ? rob
rwhite
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby SoupBones George » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:07 pm

Rob, I don't think you can get permission to do that. Further, I don't believe TruEnergy, or any other retailer can give that permission - ETSA controls what may be connected to J tarriff and I'll bet my socks that doesn't include any power point!
Cheers, SoupBones George
SoupBones George
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby jesh » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:46 am

George is right, the j-tariff is only for storage heating (hot water/heat banks) and it is controlled by ETSA. (However, ETSA prefer to deal with the energy retailers rather than the public which is probably why you've been advised to speak with Tru.)
jesh
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives