Meter change-over experiences

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Meter change-over experiences

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:39 pm

With the end of the GFiT scheme in NSW and various other changes in other states, what has your meter change-over experience been like?
In NSW almost 150,000 customers were affected by the change, and there have been all sorts of reports about delays for various reasons, but also reports of a painless and relatively simple re-programming of the meter to go from gross to net metering.
Those who are stuck on gross metering could be in for serious bill shock if they are getting 6c/kWh or even zero, for their exports, but paying full price for all electricity used, with no chance of allowance for their own generation until their metering is sorted out.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: Meter change-over experiences

Postby australsolarier » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:55 am

so far the meter changing experience in my case has been zero. though the meter reader was reading the meters yesterday, two months early.(the whole street not just the solar houses) origin sort of is going to change the meter january or february they sort of said. it does not affect me in my case, as i do not draw electricity from the grid anymore, only feed it in. also origin has a one year limited plan, that "could" be extended, with 10c feed in tariff and 10% reduced electricity cost. and same connection fee. i think they try to hang on to customers as they are afraid the grid feeder might migrate to higher feed-in tariff providers.
a working mate a few streets away,provider AGL , got installed with a new bidirectional meter. they drilled a hole through the meter box to attach an areal. i suppose that is for remote reading. although he used to be a licensed electrician, he could not figure out how to read the data from it. i suspect he was not very persisting with finding out what all the different codes mean.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Interestingly, the neighbours either side (With Solar) had SMART METERS forced on them but I have heard nothing.

The thing is that I have two meters.. One is a basic consumption meter, and the other is a BiDirectional Solar meter, where the gross output was recorded plus the power consumed at night was recorder and billed..

I can't see why I can't have the meter connected to the main supply and thus it will turn into a NET Meter, with the tolal consumption being recorded rather than just the quiescent inverter consumption. :idea:
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby melsi13 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:21 pm

If you are in Ausgrid's distribution area you can have you gross meter reconfigured into net if you meet the criteria. I had our meter wiring reconfigured just before Christmas by a level 2 ASP. I got a couple of quotes and a few ASP's were way over priced for the work involved $550-$600. Ended up with a local ASP doing the job for $165. All done as per the bulletin.

Refer to ASP General Information" bulletin.

http://www.ausgrid.com.au/~/media/Files ... rsions.pdf
melsi13
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby GarnZ » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:06 am

Thanks Meter13, this the first bit of real info about the meter change over from gross to net I've seen, particularly the ASP General Info Bulletin.
Like Tracker above I've been waiting to hear from my supplier giving me a few options.
In the absence of any contact/offer from the supplier, I intend to to give them one pay period (3 months), then make a decision... possibly turn off my solar exports.
RegardZ.
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
Meter change over and "Net'" conversion 6th July 2017.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:01 pm

Any ASP near Hurstville Available - PM Me Please..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:26 pm

EM have a news item about the state of play around the country regarding tarrifs here:

http://www.energymatters.com.au/renewab ... fs-em5848/
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:17 pm

Tnks Gunna..
I had a level 2 come and change my meter connections..
The stupid EA people kept saying that I needed a meter change, but then would not get back to me.
I had a Structure 25 meter for Gross feed that measured IMPORT and EXPORT power to the SOLAR systems, which is exactly what was needed for NET metering, but they thought the meter needed changing at my cost..
Anyway to second pure IMPORT meter is now disconnected and the Gross Solar meter is now recording the NET situation of Import and Export, and I now await them to complain..

So IF you have what is known as a Structure 25 meter, it is a simple change to convert the readings to NET power metering..

Now we just wait and pick the best option for going "Off Grid" or "Grid Backup"
"THEY" had better start making offers or the choice WILL be "Off Grid"
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GarnZ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:05 am

So as I'm up to date..
This is my Switch board (Sydney Suburb NSW)

This is that "Structure 25 meter" as mentioned by Tracker.

Now should I go ahead and get this changed to become a "Net" meter by arranging an "Accredited Service Provider" (ASP) to come and do the job, or wait until somebody comes and holds my hand.

RegardZ
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GarnZ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Just for info, I spoke to another solar neighbour to-day.
He has a different supplier, however, I looked at his meter... same "Structure 25" marking on the meter.
He also has heard nothing!
RegardZ
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives