Meter change-over experiences

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Re: Meter change-over experiences

Postby GarnZ » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Here is briefly what I suspect about this whole charade about suppliers offers to public, regarding payment for solar energy, hence, the question, should we go to "Net" or stay with Gross metering?

All suppliers are arranging third parties or agents to make recommendations to the user that they virtually sign up to a fictitious contract to ensure they don't lose customers during this interim period of "No-information". They seem to have formed a cartel requiring that....no supplier is to offer too much for the user supplying solar energy to the grid.

Their objective is to then procrastinate... sit and wait to see how many will convert to "net" or stay "gross", with a bonus source of electrical supply, for which they will pay a pittance.

RegardZ.
PS..No correspondance from EA as yet!
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GarnZ » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:20 pm

First indication of meter change-over or mention of Solar energy is on my EA current bill, due in two days time.
It reads....
Solar customers please note that very shortly we will be adding details of your solar generation alongside your electricity consumption data.

RegardZ.
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:53 pm

and before?
it was underneath each other?
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby melmik » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:38 pm

You would hope they will provide a graph of your daily use versus your daily generation - averaged over the period - hour by hour. Or even the ability to download the full dataset for each period....you know, helpful stuff to assist us to better use our energy sources. Plus list the actual (not estimated) meter readings, so we can ensure a fair billing has occurred, like we have legislated for petrol pump meters.

These are simple things that we simple consumers can all do on our simple home computers, but which they cannot seem to manage on their multi million $ billing systems.

Wonder if this will happen? After all, thats why smart metering is being introduced....supposedly.

Took my lack of meter install date to ombudsman. They gave Origin 3 days to respond with solution. Origins solution is some chick calling me to advise she hasnt got a solution yet and will be off work until next week, when she will try to find a solution.
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby melmik » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Since Origin could not even supply a guess for which month they would change meters, I took it to the NSW ombudsman. After Origin delayed answering for another couple of weeks. the Ombudsman went back to them and we should be getting the new meters on Wednesday, plus a $100 customer service stuffup payment.

Frankly I'll be amazed if it all goes smoothly, but it might. I realise that all that has happened is that by complaining I have been moved up the queue, and feel a bit guilty about that. But without us putting any pressure on these companies, they will continue to do what they want. Enough complaints and the pain in the bum they cause might change some higher level attitudes to customer service.

I suppose it is no surprise that our govt has been deadly quiet about the meter changeover debacle.
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby melmik » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Our meter changeover occurred this morning. Previous 2 meters have been replaced with three new meters, which is a VERY tight fit in the old meter box. They left the old asbestos board, which they had previously said needed to be replaced.

We are a on a legacy two-phase power setup. I think the Mk7A is for load control for our off-peak HWS. No idea what the EM211 is used for yet.

The new meters are: (with descriptions I found online)
EDMI Atlas Mk10D (Smart Three Phase Electronic Revenue Meter with Disconnect and Reconnect Feature)
EDMI Atlas Mk7A (Smart Single Phase Two-Element Electronic Revenue Meter)
EM211 Type 100 (The EM211 Type 100 is an electronic watt-hour credit meter for single-phase residential applications).

There doesn't seem to be any antenna - which i thought was needed for remote reading?

Looking forward to how Origins less than impressive billing system copes with all that.
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby melmik » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:51 am

Hopefully something here that will assist those of you who are with Origin in NSW and have 2 or 3-phase power.In different regions with different retailers, your displays will be configured differently...brilliantly inconsistent eh!

These are the 3 meters you will possibly get and how to read them. Only those with controlled loads such as off-peak hot water will get the EDMI Mk7A.

Info is from Vector AMS who are the meter providers for Origin and a lot more customer friendly than Origin.

The EDMI Mk10D is your general household meter and does most of the metering on your 2 or 3 phases.
The EDMI Mk 7A meters controlled loads on a single phase.
The EM211 purely measures solar gross generation.

There is a reading labelled tP on the Mk10D lcd which isn't in Vectors list, but which meters total active power in real time and which will display either negative or positive. I'm assuming negative during the day indicates that you are exporting energy, due to my other reading indicating I was producing more than i was using at that time. Plus it shows as a positive value when the sun aint shining....

There is a second level of readings which I haven't researched yet (set B) which is accessed by holding the scroll button for a few seconds. The scroll button is your friend...it pauses the reading at each step, rather than trying to quickly read the very similar looking field names as it auto scrolls. If you are on 2-phase some readings will be zero. eg EHL3, INL3, EHtl3

Here is the info from Vector.
How-to-read-your-Advanced-M.jpg

meter-example.jpg
meter-example.jpg (56.37 KiB) Viewed 736 times

Cheers
Michael
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:16 am

michael,
thanks for all your info.
as for myself still waiting for the big event
greetings urs
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby melmik » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:39 am

From researching how to read my new meters I've found that each retailer may have a different meter provider. The meter provider is the company that ultimately owns and installs the meters. AGL uses ActiveStream and Origin uses Vector AMS. Not sure who Energy Aus use.

AND each meter provider seems to have different ways of labeling each metered component for the exact same meter model. For example on an EDMI Atlas Mk7A, ActiveStream/AGL use numbers (e.g 53 = kW imported), while Vector use a code (EHL1 = kW imported). This seems to suggest each meter is programmed differently by the meter provider.

I'm wondering how this effects us as consumers transferring between retailers, and if meters need ownership transfer and/or reprogramming and a $ cost if you shift from AGL to Origin etc.

You'd hope our regulators haven't put us in this sort of situation but.....
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Icarus » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi
Ive had an email from EA saying my net meter will be installed between 18 mar and the 28 mar .
I have an Apricus system so I don't use Off peak in summer just autumn winter and spring so ,
what I am wondering is what to do about off peak HW and if its better to use my solar generation during the day to heat the water .
I am think I would need some sort of timer switch so that it only heats during the day and I could manually switch it on to boost it if its really cloudy .
I really don't want to give EA more power than I have to .
Something like the pic below .
CLIPSAL TC32V24 HR TIMER FLUSH SWITCH.JPG
I have similar to this for my pool pump
CLIPSAL TC32V24 HR TIMER FLUSH SWITCH.JPG (49.84 KiB) Viewed 685 times
Icarus
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives