Large Scale solar feed in tariff?

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Large Scale solar feed in tariff?

Postby James1979 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Hello guys,

Does any body have a idea about how much cents/kwh will a retailer purchase from an large scale solar farm like around 1o megawatt capacity in NSW?
James1979
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Large Scale solar feed in tariff?

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:37 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums James :)

I would think large solar farms will generally be getting the current wholesale market rate, unless they have a contract to supply a single user with their entire output.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby James1979 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for the prompt reply and the warm welcome for me, I did some google and look up the AEMO website, the average price for wholesale in NSW is like $56/MWh. which is like 5.6cent/KWh? Is that possible for solar farm to make money? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quoting
James1979
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:31 pm

You can see it in near real time here:
https://www.aemo.com.au/Electricity/Nat ... -dashboard

Yes, you will get a much better rate retailing it yourself. If you are going to build a large solar farm, I know of some people that might be interested in buying the output. However, there will be all sorts of rules and regs in place that you have to negotiate to get past the existing marklet structure.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby James1979 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:06 pm

Thanks for the info, just one more question, if the existed large scale solar farm like Moree Solar farm have a 56 MW plant, assume they generated 100 MWh per annual and if we can improve the output by 50% more without installed additional solar panels. Will the solar farm owner need to renegotiated the terms with the grid owner or get approval from the government?
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James1979
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:01 pm

I think Moree already has single axis trackers to improve capacity factor. No doubt the expected output has to be negotiated with AEMO when things are being negotiated initially. You'd have to talk to the market operator about any increases in output for an existing solar farm.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby James1979 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:01 pm

They do have a tracker system in place, :). so when you said talk to the market operator, are you referring about AEMO or the solar farm owner? Sorry for asking some many questions and thank you for the help.
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James1979
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:19 pm

I suspect the solar farm owner wouldnt be giving out any confidential information, you'd have to talk to the AEMO about specific terms and conditions.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby James1979 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Yeah I think so too.. the all those large solar farm owner will need to negotiated the rate with their local retailers? I just wondering do you a roughly idea about how much can the $/KWh those solar farm owner can get? like 20cents sound possible???
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James1979
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:55 pm

I'm afraid I have no idea about the negotiations carried on by the large solar farm operators, except that when you are a generator and a retailer you are likely to be in a better postion than having to buy from the wholesale market.
This forum probably isn't the ideal place to be doing market research ;)
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Next

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives