NSW ~ What's Happening Jan 2017

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

NSW ~ What's Happening Jan 2017

Postby GarnZ » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:28 pm

NSW ..what’s Happening.
A friend attended a preliminary seminar entitled something like "The way we are heading for Jan 2017.
Basically here is what he concluded….
All solars users will have to use a “SMART” meter. Some suppliers will provide them some will sell them?
Installation of batteries is not cost effective at this stage.

Here is the key..
The program will encourage users to use their appliances during the day.
These include Hot-water and heating and cooling the house.
Not sure of the position regarding Off-peak, shoulder and Peak usage.
There will be no Solar bonus scheme.
Sale rate for excess of what you use during the day will be approx 5.1 cents.
Note, that you will not be using your own produced electricity, but rather some that has been calculated over the 3month cycle by your Smart Meter.
Not sure of the hours that your “equivalent” average capture of electricity will be costed at during prescribed daylight hours.

This is a bit of a lead…. Anyone any more details?
RegardZ.
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: NSW ~ What's Happening Jan 2017

Postby GarnZ » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Here is a little more on the above query/heading!
Who is affected?
South Australia
Since 2011
62,785 customers Until 30 Sep 2016
New Suth Wales
Since 2010
146,000 customers Until 31 Dec 2016
Victoria
Since 2011
67,160 customers Until 31 Dec 2016.

WHAT TO DO?
You aren’t legally required to do anything – but you’ll be worse off, and decisions may be made for you.
Know who your retailer is, what tariff you’re on and what appliances use the most energy around your home
Know how your solar system is performing
To lower your electricity bills there’s a host of other energy conservation and efficiency measures you could consider
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:25 pm

The lack of responses may be due to this subject already having been discussed extensively in other threads this year.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby GarnZ » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks Gordon, however, I have asked this forum several times and was told... Nobody knows!
A friend recently went to a symposium on the subject and his info is the first I've heard, hence, I thought I would past it on.
If it is elsewhere, what Subject Heading would you suggest that this info should be imparted.
I would have at a guess and say " RENEWABLE ENERGY REBATES AND INCENTIVES".

No withstanding the above... What heading is all this unknown info under? I would be pleased to see how informative it is!

RegardZ
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:56 pm

http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby melmik » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:07 pm

Got Origin new meter letter a couple of weeks ago. Got home today to find lecko in meter box about to change meters. He said around 3 hours as we also had fibro panel in back of meter box.

10 minutes later, 'sorry can't do it as you have 2 phase power and they don't make meters for that yet'

Asked when he thought they would - he had no idea but thought it wouldn't be this year.

The useless xheads at Ausgrid, Origin and our esteemed govt reps have had years to get this process right and they KNOW i have 2 phase, but they still can't do the job they are overpaid for.

So how will my bills be worked out? Will they pay me gross 6c for everything i generate? Unlikely.
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:39 pm

That's thrown a spanner in the works then- there will be plenty of 2 phase connections (I wonder if they are sorted for 3phase?).
If you have space in the switchboard, surely they could use 2 single phase meters?

As you say, it isn't as if they have had no time to plan for this.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby melmik » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Followup: spoke to Origin, they said that stock of 2-phase net meters has run out until around February 2017.

Billing wise we will continue to be paid gross, so everything we generate will get 6c/kW (or whatever rate at the time) until we get a net meter.

In our case, as we wouldn't be exporting much on a net tariff, it is a slight $ advantage to stay gross until they get their act together. And gives us more time to plan and implement our load shifting. Currently considering Siddons water systems to replace our standard electric controlled load OPHW

But seriously - running out of meters!!! When Ausgrid etc know exactly how many households are on >1 phase, and the fact that 2-phase net meters have been around for years, and the ignored other fact that our current 2-phase TOU interval meters can be reprogrammed for gross.

The lecko was a bit annoyed at a wasted trip, getting his gear ready etc, then SURPRISE - 2-phase.

The dual phase is basically a legacy of old stove and aircon needs and no longer needed by us.
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:01 pm

melmik wrote:... everything we generate will get 6c/kW

In our case, as we wouldn't be exporting much on a net tariff, it is a slight $ advantage to stay gross until they get their act together.

Can you explain your reasoning for the advantage?

You say you wont export much on a net basis, which implies that you use most of what you produce, so surely it is better to miss out on receiving 6c/kWh than paying 25c/kWh (or whatever you pay there during the day)?
Normally a Gross FiT would only be an advantage if they paid you more for exports than imported energy cost you.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby melmik » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:55 pm

Sorry Gordon- not great at explaining this stuff. Hopefully I'm getting it right! Slight advantage is over the period they continue to pay for every kW produced and a net vs gross calculation. I'm adding in all our details for anyone who may be in the same boat - I realise you Gordon have an advanced understanding of all this.

So the way I see it is that on net we would only get 6c for the DIFFERENCE (gen minus usage = export) in kW over the hours where generation is higher than usage. While on gross we get 6c for every kW generated. And we pay the same for usage on either. And as we only have a small system, the net exports, as in the figures below will be negligible.

We currently get 20c for every kW gross. Then pay usage on TOU scales, so for example we currently wash our clothes at 4am.

At end of year we should be going to net, so lose 20c for each kW. And then pay same TOU rates for usage. So we would start washing machine etc when solar is generating most, around 11am - 5pm.

But, we will now stay on gross until ? So get 6c/kW and still pay same TOU rates. Basically extended, lower $ gross FIT

Our 2kW system suffers from neighbours trees, espec in winter. We currently (november) generate hourly from 10am: 0.4, 1.1, 1.8, 1.7, 1.6,1.5, 1.1, 0.5: use over those hours is 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.2, 0.2, 0.1, 0.1, 0.1, 0.2:

We average around 12kW day usage and summer is the only time we generate more than overall usage. OPHW uses 5kW per night and although it is at a 'cheap' rate that is a sgnificant usage we want to remove, shift or reduce.

Our problem with net is that without moving the hot water load we cannot shift much other load to our best generation times. Our usage ramps up most from 5pm to 11pm, and 6am to 9am. Our generation is from 10am to 6ish (summer).

Hope the above gibberish helps somebody! Have I got it right? VERY happy to recieve advice.
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives