Tesla Powerwall viability in the other SA.. - South Africa

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Tesla Powerwall viability in the other SA.. - South Africa

Postby shanghailoz » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:37 am

Did some math on the Tesla Powerwall, based on our pricing here in South Africa.

Our landed pricing is 4000$ from wholesalers here, which means about R64,000 in our monopoly money.

Unlike you guys, we've been seeing heavy price increases year on year for Electricity - our electricity costs have gone up 700% in the last few years. It doesn't look like those increases are going to abate any time soon either.

Our industry watchdog NERSA is basically in the lap of the monopoly vendor Eskom, so basically any asked for increases are more or less stamped as done.

Even with our horrifically weak currency, it almost looks viable to get a Tesla Powerwall.
Calculations here - http://goingsolar.co.za/2016/02/15/tesl ... th-africa/

May be of interest to some of you. Who knows!

Should also add, we don't get FiT's here, you actually get charged more if you connect up in some muni's (i.e Cape Town you get hit with a daily charge)
shanghailoz
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Tesla Powerwall viability in the other SA.. - South Afri

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:40 am

Payback times are not as good (if a payback period longer than the warranty could really be called good) as you might think, as starting capacity is actually 6.4kWh, not 7kWh.
Have you looked at other battery options? There are quite a few on the market now.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby shanghailoz » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:54 am

Starting capacity is 7KW.

The 6.44KW is highly likely based off the 92% round trip value.
As... 7KW x 92% = 6.44KW

I don't know for sure though, but makes sense if its advertised at 7KW.

I was doing the math from a TCO perspective. If you remember my other posts, I'm going with a self-made LFP based solution.

The importer that claimed 4000$ import price is now selling the unit with a 5KW inverter for closer to US$8500 (R136,000) for 5KW inverter + 7KW Powerwall, so its much less worthwhile in terms of payback.

A 5KW SolarEdge + Panels + Inverter system from the same supplier is R250,000+vat (R285k / US$17,812.5).

Expensive from our perspective in .za, when you can roll something similar for close to half.
shanghailoz
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:32 am

The actual usable max capacity is 6.4kWh, the total capacity to 100% discharge is 7kWh, but it wont let you do that.
Yes, DIY is the way to go, I went that way in 2012, and the CALB cells are still going well.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives