ombudsman for solar rebates

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

ombudsman for solar rebates

Postby patricia davies » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi
does anyone know of an ombudsman I can contact concerning the rebates given to us for the power going back into the grid?
I would hope the Government has a site-they are offerring all the incentives-but aren't telling us the truth about what we get for our dollars.
Also my gas HWService is old and now does not work. I can't get a rebate for solar hot water I must buy another gas HWS-the price of gas is not $125 a bottle and climbing.Any ideas?
Thanks for any help
Pat Davies
patricia davies
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: ombudsman for solar rebates

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:18 pm

patricia davies wrote:Also my gas HWService is old and now does not work. I can't get a rebate for solar hot water I must buy another gas HWS-the price of gas is not $125 a bottle and climbing.Any ideas?

Eh? Why do you have to buy another gas HWS? What's wrong with a solar HWS? Just because you cant get a rebate isn't a good reason not to go solar.
Get a solar HWS, gas or electric boosted. I manage quite well without gas or electric boost here with a bit of care when its cloudy, but your climate may dictate some sort of boosting.

Gordon
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby patricia davies » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi I think once bitten twice shy about paying out money for solar.Coming from the bush where there were no choices it is hard to know the best way to go.You are right, if I had a solar HWS boosted ,sounds a good way to go.
Thank you
Pat
patricia davies
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby KarenS » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:57 pm

Hi Pat,
Where are you?
In Victoria, there is an Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria
http://www.ewov.com.au/
and all the Ombudsmen in this area are state-based. On the Victorian site, if you click on 'Useful Links" [extreme right of screen], then on 'Ombudsman and dispute resolution', it has links to the Energy ombudsmen in the other states.
But before you go to any ombudsman, you need to know several things, like whether you have the right meter, wired correctly, to collect the data to enable you to get a feed-in tariff.
You also need to be on a Feed-in Tariff from your retailer (the bods who send you your bill). Just because you have had panels installed, doesn't mean you automatically get a FiT - you need to have the meter changed, and a new contract with your retailer.
The change in NSW from net to gross FiT announced by the NSW state gov't just before Christmas has apparently thrown a large spanner in the works in NSW, as meters which had been installed for PV panels right uip to the announcement were wired etc for a NETT FiT, and they are either the wriong sort, or wired incorrectly to get data for a GROSS FiT. Of course, the gov't didn't bother to consult with the industry before making the announcement, and the whole thing is a b&&&s-up. The indostry has rightloy complained that they were not given sufficient notice to change meters over, and they do not have either the time or the man-power to get the job done by yesterday. (NB This is one of a VERY few cases where yelping and complaints from the energy distributors etc is, in fact, justified!) I believe that as a result, the date for implementation has been reset to 30 June, or 1 July, or thereabouts.

If we know where you are located, then someone can give you a more authoritative reply, as all the tariff and electricity supply stuff is State-based.

If you are referring to rebates for the installation of PV panels, then that is a different matter, and it IS a federal matter. The Dept of the Environment, Water, Heritage & the Arts [DEWHA} website rebates page is a good place to start. http://www.environment.gov.au/rebates/index.html
KarenS
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby patricia davies » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:20 pm

Hello Karen,
We live in sunny Queensland.
To be sure of what I am saying I have just checked with my husband, we had the 1.5kva solar system installed.This feeds power directly into the grid. We paid so much and the Government paid so much.We then went to our power supplier who gave us the necessary paperwork-when filled out, the extra meter was installed. When our meter is read, there are two meters to be read,one for our usage and the second one for the solar credits.
Most days the red lights on our installation/inverter box are all alight-meaning we are sending power to the grid.
As suggested we do all our washing etc in the night time to be given a different rate -a cheaper rate. So far there is no evidence of this.
My concern is that the cost of the solar system should give a better return . Not so-for about 90 days account our rebate is a joke.$12.76 our rebate With 3 accounts so far the highest rebate we have had is $20 approx.
Thank you for your interest
patricia davies
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby KarenS » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi Patricia,

Yes, that doesn't seem to tally with some of the stories from Queenslanders, telling of making lots of money, or at least having to pay nothing, and other things which those of us who live in states with less sunshine can only dream about, LOL.

I don't know enough detail about Qld - I have enough trouble getting my head around half the Victorian stuff - but perhaps you could use the search box to look for stuff like 'Qld FiT', or maybe change the heading (or if you can't do that, start a new thread) and mention Queensland in it. That should pull out some people who know a bit, or have some experience. I suspect that many of the 'regulars' on these forums are on hols, or at least not on-line as often as usual just at the moment.
I KNOW there are people on these boards who can give you some clues - it's just a matter of searching for them, or for them to get back on the net, and find your query!
Good luck,
Karen in Melbourne.
KarenS
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby patricia davies » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:32 pm

Thank you Karen in Melbourne
Good advice-this is the firsy ever time I have done this, need to learn more. I will sign off here and try rewording a little better. And you are right, everyone is holidaying up here. Happy New Year
Pat :)
patricia davies
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives