King Island system data now online

News, product developments and events occurring in the wind and solar power industry

King Island system data now online

Postby Smurf1976 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:24 pm

http://www.kingislandrenewableenergy.com.au

Here you can see "real time" data for the King Island (Bass Strait) system which has a number of technologies combined as an actual power station.

Diesel, wind, solar and various storage systems are all at the actual power station (not distributed generation). A flywheel is under construction as is carbon block storage. A vanadium battery was installed quite a few years ago now.

Long term, this is intended to result in a 65% contribution from wind energy to the King Island grid. This is being done partly for research purposes (that is, it's not a money saving project as such) and is well worth a look at the website in my opinion for anyone with an interest in renewable energy.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: King Island system data now online

Postby Tracker » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:08 am

If only they could do this for Norfolk Island.
I will be keen to remember this site and watch what happens with time.

As reported in another thread, Norfolk Crashed a few weeks ago when private solar generation exceeded the Generators Capacity (my interpretation) and the generator shut down and hence there was "No Grid" for the PV systems to lock into. They have now started to reject PV-Applications, until they can find a solution.
I wonder what that solution could be??? :?: ????

The only way would be to have an automatic LOAD device to ensure that the generator is ALWAYS needed..
( Like pumping water up-hill to a hydro-generator system ) At least Norfolk has a hill !

I wonder if on King, there is a large enough population, to create a similar problem.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:13 am

I wish they would make their display a bit more informative- ie have an average + peak wind speed including all the WTG sites, because clearly the displayed wind speed is only very roughly correlated with total output- after watching it a fair bit over the past few weeks. Yesterday I saw 397kW with zero wind speed! Also a graph showing wind and solar output over the past day/week/month would be nice to see.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Smurf1976 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Load device - they do have one on King Island and it's purpose is to keep the diesels at minimum output when the wind speed is high and/or demand is low.

They are working on a flywheel based system which would enable the diesels to be stopped altogether and use 100% wind / solar when conditions permit. This isn't working yet however.

One thing to bear in mind is that this is centralised generation rather than distributed so the utlity does have direct control over everything. If there's too much wind / solar then they can (and do) simply limit what goes into the grid so as to keep things balanced. The idea with the fly wheel and thermal storage systems is to put this presently wasted wind / solar to use, thus further reducing the use of diesel.

Wind speed data - I suspect this isn't working properly given all the work they are doing. The old control room demolished, fly wheel installation, carbon block and steam system installation etc. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that they might have simply disconnected a few things during all of this - it's always hard doing construction at a "live" site which has to remain operational 24/7 during the works so I'd guess they might have dropped a few non-essentials to make it easier.

I'm not associated with this by the way, although I've spoken to a couple of people that are involved and they pointed me to the website.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:26 pm

Well now it's been done. A sustained period of 100% wind and solar into a grid.

http://www.kingislandrenewableenergy.co ... -milestone

They still need to use the diesels to maintain a constant supply of electricity when there's no wind, but having actually run the system with them switched off (relying on wind and solar) meets the criteria of a "milestone" so far as I'm concerned.

Things should get even better once they get the smart grid up and running in a few months. If load can be controlled as well as generation, then it makes it easier to run without the diesels. The expectation seems to be that in the future (ie a few months from now) it will be fairly common to have 100% wind energy in the system overnight, and a very high proportion of wind and solar during the day.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:45 am

I keep a fairly regular eye on KIREIP and noticed that they were running on 100% wind with the diesel turned off a couple of weeks ago during a windy spell of weather. They sure do put a lot of power into that resistor bank at times!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Solar And Wind Power News