BYD BBox

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

BYD BBox

Postby tom rickard » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:38 pm

In my research on expanding my power generation, I came across the BYD B-Box, currently available for $1500 for a 2.5kwh unit, expandable to 10kwh (4 units in parallel).

These are LiFePO4 cells, and I was talking to the supplier of my LiFeTech cells who informed me that these type of LiFePO4 cells are rubbish, and not even close in quality to the cells he supplies (of course he has a vested interest)

It begs the question though, are all LiFePO4 cells created equal? If not, what exactly makes a cell a good one? Obviously I don't mind paying double for a cell that will last 3 times as long, but will it?

In any case, I think the BYD looks a more appealing option than the LGResu, simply because of the lower volatility chemistry. It is plug and play compatible with SMA / Victron inverters (and others).

Does anyone have any info on either the BYD, or what exactly I should be looking for in a LiFePO4 cell?
tom rickard
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: BYD BBox

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:47 pm

Where did you get that pricing from Tom, is that retail or wholesale?

On RenewEconomy a few days ago:
>>This pricing was confirmed by one of the company’s distributors, who suggested that pricing would range from around $5,000 (for its smallest 2.5kWh model), through to $13,000 for its 10kWh model, fully installed with inverters.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby lantern » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:42 am

Both my main suppliers say they are announcing pricing next week.
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby tom rickard » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Wholesale pricing, Sol Distributions. They've been available globally for a while now, but I've only managed to get in contact with one person who is using the system for their off-grid power.
tom rickard
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:21 am

just reading a comparison a week ago on the renewable website, the BYD system was about 3 times more expensive than the tesla 2 powerwall, per kwh's stored and released. as a matter of fact it was the most expensive one of all the products.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby lantern » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:41 am

Our calculations show it to be one of the cheapest.
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:13 pm

yes i am sure you were doing some calculations, i was just reading this:
http://reneweconomy.com.au/graph-of-the ... ice-62928/

and yes i admit i was wrong, the byd battery cycles are not just 3x more expensive than the tesla powerwall 2, but more like 7 times!!!!!!!!!
so unless something drastic happened with the byd pricing in the last two months ......
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:15 pm

then we have this table here, where the byd battery is not even included:
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/battery- ... son-table/
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby APR » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:04 am

If I understand correctly, the BYD pricing shown in some of the literature includes a separate standalone inverter for the battery. If you already have a compatible inverter then the price for the battery is significantly lower than is being quoted by some sources.

I have a compatible inverter, and am looking at expanding my battery capacity. I am only interested in LiFePO4, and so the BYD is of interest.
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:24 am

well, i am interested in the prices you have.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Components, Installation And Performance