Potential new standards for Lithium batteries

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Potential new standards for Lithium batteries

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:25 pm

On RenewEconomy today:
"Lithium-ion battery storage devices – including Tesla Powerwalls and other products – may be banned from being installed inside homes and garages in Australia under new guidelines being drafted by Standards Australia."

http://reneweconomy.com.au/lithium-ion- ... mes-57002/

If this does happen, then the cost of a battery installation could increase significantly.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: Potential new standards for Lithium batteries

Postby davef » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:42 pm

Yikes, just in the process of moving my batteries into the house.

I wonder if LiFePO4 fit into this scheme.

My insurance company, currently is OK with this move.

davef
davef
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:46 pm

I'd expect all Lithium chemistries might get caught by this, including the very safe LiFePO4. Your insurance company may change its mind if the standards change.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Lithium-ion battery storage ban

Postby pat » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:55 pm

Oh no, Gordon or off grid I hope your battery storage is not inside , take a look at Reneweconomys latest report on this, wonder whats going on here????
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to already existing thread
pat
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:19 pm

No batteries inside here, all in my power shed with inverter and CCs.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:29 pm

No my Lithium battery's are stored in a more or less fire rated detached power room made of solid cinder blocks. I keep a few other lithium cells in the same room just as its a good place to store them in the cool.

So what are they saying all the people with electric cars cant store them in there garage :lol: a little silly when you can store 60lt of petrol in your car parked in the garage under the house.

That said I wouldn't suggest installing any battery storage inside your home as a good idea. I try and limit all flammable liquids, gases and lithium battery's beyond a laptop size cell in the home. Even then its only if its a reputable brand.

If its tiny lipo cell from a child's toy I don't trust them so they go in the shed when not in use.
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby pat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:19 am

Crikey I must have a devil may care attitude if your that carefull off grid with your battery storage, 36 volt 16 ah lithium battery on bike stored in attached garage right beside car with tank full of 98 octane fuel... :o
pat
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby lantern » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:45 am

Would love to know who is on the standards committee, that's driving this.
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:38 am

I do store my electric car with a 16kwh lithium battery in the garage attached to the house an charge it there.

Though I have Mitsubishi Motors to cover the insurance bill if it suddenly burst into flames and burn the house down. Much the same if your Samsung phone or apple iPad was to burst into flames as long as you were operating it as intended I don't think there wound me any issue having them take responsibility.

It's more the home brew concoctions or products that don't have much backing (say a hover board from ebay)to cover there liability that are best kept in the shed :lol:
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby tom rickard » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:47 am

The introduction of new standards is rarely retrospective. I'm in the process of moving my LiFePO4 system into the corner of my workshop as the temperature inside is relatively stable compared to the detached shed where they are currently housed.

If you want them inside, get it done before the standards are released.
tom rickard
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Next

Return to Components, Installation And Performance