Potential new standards for Lithium batteries

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Potential new standards for Lithium batteries

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:36 pm

It looks like it has been delayed a bit.
http://reneweconomy.com.au/standards-au ... sts-35946/
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jaahn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:53 am

Hi :)
As already said one wonders who are the driving force for this ?? In previous times the standards ass was driven by technical persons who had expertise in the area. Now it has been privatised and become a profit driven organisation. :shock:
If they can get standards recognised then they can sell licences and standards etc etc. I will look at the committee and see if I can find out who they represent.
On another front there has been significant take up of lithium batteries in caravans and motorhomes. These may be stored under the bed or similar. :roll: Seems like a better place to start making some standards IMHO.
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:31 am

I really don't see why for the most part they cant come under the larger heading of battery storage. For the most part the same general best practices apply as was used for the older battery chemistry's.

If anything some standards on how they are managed during charge and discharge as that is the foundation for potential issues.

I would rather a lithium battery stored under my bed with LVD,HVD at cell level that is rated to disconnect the banks full output potential .

Over a bank being charge and discharged in the garage or outside wall of the house that is uncontrolled.
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jules » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:47 am

Wonder how Telstra will go with its exchanges that have large banks of batteries sharing the same building as other equipment and staff. Same for any company using a battery back up I guess?

Also, why are they suggesting "kiosks" for storage? Surely that's the place you buy a nice ice cream or cold drink?
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby APR » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:37 am

Maybe my concrete battery bunker was not a bad idea.... I still haven't transferred to pack into it yet....

2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Helipos » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:19 am

jaahn wrote:Hi :)
I will look at the committee and see if I can find out who they represent.

I think that could be an interesting endeavour and possibly shine a light on something the stinks like sheet.
Helipos
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:14 pm

http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jules » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Gosh, I can hardly wait to see the specs for a conforming weatherproof outdoor enclosure ... overhead sprinkler? alarms? 20m from the nearest anything? but more seriuosly this suggestion from Workcover Qld might leave a gap:

“We recommend that no battery parts of a BESS should be installed inside a home or building attached to a home. Instead, they should be installed in a suitable fire and weatherproof enclosure or other purpose built structure.”

Would a "fire and weatherproof" garage not attached to a house fit this description?

J
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby APR » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:18 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Meanwhile, in Qld

I see regs like this as being designed to up installation prices, scare off the masses, and support the generation/distribution industry.

Where outside do you locate a battery enclosure while having a reasonable chance of controlling the temperature the batteries are subject to? Note, for a lot of the latest generation batteries you also need an internet connection for warranty, and I can see sales if thicker battery cable picking up significantly.
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jules » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:40 pm

I can see sales if thicker battery cable picking up significantly.

Yes, but not only would there potentially be very long cables but also issues with placing those cables either above ground or below ground, in such a way as to be safe ... not necessarily easy in a backyard.

Lets hope that Standards Qld [or whatever they're called] wait until Standards Australia take another look at the matter and come up with something better.

Storage is going to be so important if we're going to stop taking steps backwards when we could so easily and more cheaply move forward.

jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance