The SMART Meter (NSW)

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

The SMART Meter (NSW)

Postby GarnZ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:49 pm

One of the options for me in Jan 2017, living in NSW and no intention of buying battery support for my Solar Panels, is to install a SMART Meter. Not sure of the cost or whether the suppliers Contribute!

Now the SMART meter, by my definition, must be a meter that does away with the existing "export" and import" meters and somehow combines them to be this meter that can sense when you have enough electricity to supply your needs and when not!

It is hard for me to imagine, how this SMART meter will operate, when I'm running a pool pump, washing machine, dryer, toaster, kettle and air condition during a regular sunny day and suddenly a storm cloud covers my sunlight. The meter would have to switch to Grid back-up in an instance!

Am I right with my definition of a Smart Meter?
How will it cope in a drastic switch/change to grid back-up action?
I can imagine the system "hunting" in a case where clouds continually interfere with the solar supply.

RegardZ
Ps. Moderator please remove and place in the correct category, if found necessary.
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
Meter change over and "Net'" conversion 6th July 2017.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: The SMART Meter (NSW)

Postby APR » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:16 pm

G'Day GarnZ, Imagine you have two buckets containing water, with the buckets connected by a flexible hose into the bottom of each bucket. One bucket is the grid, one is your solar system. If you lift the grid bucket up (if the voltage rises) water flows to the solar bucket. If your solar is producing more than you are using the solar voltage rises (your solar bucket rises and water flows to the grid bucket).

In the hose connecting those buckets we have two water flow meters. One meter records the water flowing one way (grid imports), the other meter records the water flowing the other way (grid exports).

When you turn appliances on in your house there is a slight voltage drop in the house that allows power to flow into your house. Your solar generation, when not used in-house, causes a slight voltage rise in the house, and power flows to the grid.

Newer meters have two registers to record imports and exports, and the energy flows backwards and forwards between the grid and your house as necessary, and the meter is counting it all, and which way it is flowing, and throwing the result in the correct register.
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:26 pm

The smart meter doesn't do any switching, your grid-connected inverter will still perform as previously. It is probably an interval meter, so that your energy use can be monitored in 30 min increments, and if (more likely, when) demand charges come in, your peak 30min demand will be incorporated into your bill as a daily charge. Commercial users already have this, and are using battery storage to reduce peaks, often saving them thousands of dollars per year.
The smart meter can be read remotely, and if you have a suitable DRED inverter (compulsory since 9/10/16), it could be controlled remotely via the smart meter too, for example, to limit energy exports.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby GarnZ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Thanks for replies APR and George L, well explained!
I guess, that technical question, regarding switching will be done by the inverter, as stated, although I'm not sure if my "Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter" conforms to a "Demand Response Enabling Device" type.
The monitoring at 30 minute intervals could be the answer to my "Hunting" query.

I don't know how they are going to re-arrange my switchboard, it is already a "dogs breakfast".

RegardZ.
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jaahn » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi Garnz,
I have had solar on the roof for quite a few years. I have had 3 meters since I started. The original old one at the start of my solar installation, a new one which was not smart ?? and then when the Gov bought in the current (soon to finish) scheme I had to fit a new smart one. Only the last one I had to pay for the installation.

The last meter has facility for reading the home usage from the grid and the exported power to the grid. It also has time of use programing for the three metering schedules, peak, shoulder and low rates. The same inverter continued to operate through all this and still works the same. The smart meter is read by the company by a wireless reader but the readings are not able to be interperated by me the owner !! How stupid is that but what would the owner need to know about what is happening :evil: Perhaps newer ones may be more revealing. There are readouts on the face but are not directly readable !

Just for your information my old meter board was considered suspect at the time by some contractors who would not do the install, but the local energy supplier came and inspected it and pronounced it OK for the new smart meter to be installed and did the installation also. My house is 100 years old and also has a flat with additional old metering installed. :shock:
Cheers Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GarnZ » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:06 am

Jaahn writes
The smart meter is read by the company by a wireless reader but the readings are not able to be interperated by me the owner !! How stupid is that but what would the owner need to know about what is happening

Jaahn, I worry about not knowing when I'm sucking from the grid and when I'm self-suffience with solar input.
Of concern, is the "spot check" every half hour odd, that George L mentions on the new meter.
I can see we will have to put a lot of faith in the supplier regarding the accounting of our usage.

RegardZ
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:42 am

You can always put your own metering on, and have a display in your house, so you always know where the power is coming from.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby LeighC » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:50 am

Hi all,
In Victoria (We are Origin Energy) we have an In home Display supplied for free on one of the plans they had going, it talks to the smart meter (I Credit 500 from Powercor) by Zigbee. Ours reads the import & export power, now, daily, weekly & monthly & can push a button & read it in dollar cost & which tarriff you are on at present & how long before you are going on a lower or higher tarriff eg off peak.
It just sits on the table (or magnets to the fridge) in a nice little stand & you just tap it to wake up because it goes to sleep & charges by USB every month or so. I does read out in the backyard about 100 metres away on the other side of the house.
A good little gadget.
Cheers - Leigh
LeighC
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby jaahn » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:15 pm

Hi Garnz,
Two things to comment on.
First i do not think the meter does a "spot check"every half hour. I believe it averages over half an hour and records that, or something similar. :?
Secondly, it is probable that currently more options are being offered in the way of smart meters. Leigh seems to have the ideal system. Nothing like that was available, or was not offered to me, when I had mine installed. But at the time they were short of smart meters, I was told because of the new scheme starting. Take it or leave it was the customer choice :shock:
I actually sell all my solar output for export so there is nothing to check for me. I run my house from the second meters, which do not have smart meterage and we "manually" manage it ! :?
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GarnZ » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:00 am

Thanks Jaahn,
I think at the end of the year (2016), I will have the option of .......
1) Sell my solar output for export (Like you do), however, the rate per KW hour is an unknown at this stage.
Probably only 5c!
2) Use as much as possible of my own produced solar and when this isn't enough resort to a back-up of the grid. Hence, the need to use one of these "Smart" meters.

I really want to understand the use of this Smart meter. Although as Gordon L says, the meter doesn't do the switching from solar to grid it must be the sensor for that switching action. Hence the word "SMART".

RegardZ.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Components, Installation And Performance