The SMART Meter (NSW)

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: The SMART Meter (NSW)

Postby davidg » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:42 am

GarnZ wrote:I really want to understand the use of this Smart meter. Although as Gordon L says, the meter doesn't do the switching from solar to grid it must be the sensor for that switching action. Hence the word "SMART".

Actually "smart meters" are able to transmit their information, they are also able to cut power off remotely, without any requirement for a person coming onto your property do so or for that matter even leaving the office if the rest of the infrastructure is there to do.

Otherwise an interval electronic meter will and certainly can read read both import and export kWh's and record it provided they are programmed to do so and even some of them with the addition of a transmitter can be read from outside of the property, but likely can't cut off the power remotely.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby LeighC » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:51 am

Hi Z,
Our smart meter (Victoria) & IHD (In home Display) read the tariff you select when you sign the plan you want, TOU (Time Of Use), night rate & weekend rate etc & reads according when it comes around.
It can't be that smart because it doesn't change for daylight savings :lol:
It does switch the night rate off peak electric hot water on at 23.00 hrs & off at 0700 hrs though with a manual boost button if needed during the day. This may be charged at whatever tariff you are on at that time but I have never had to use it.
Cheers - Leigh
LeighC
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby jaahn » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:39 am

GarnZ wrote:Thanks Jaahn,
I think-----
1) Sell my solar output for export (Like you do),----------
2) Use as much as possible ------------------hence the "Smart" meters.
I really want to understand the use of this Smart meter. Although as Gordon L says, the meter doesn't do the switching from solar to grid it must be the sensor for that switching action. Hence the word "SMART".
RegardZ.

Hi Garnz :)
I think you have been seduced by the marketing of these "smart meters" and your expectations are far higher than the reality. The switching from grid to solar and back has been explained by the previous writers.THE METER HAS NO PART IN IT :geek:
Here is a fact sheet from the NSW gov, you know that benevolent institution that runs(sells !)our state: http://www.resourcesandenergy.nsw.gov.a ... -Sheet.pdf
You will see there is no mention of switching the input power BUT it does have this
What are the potential benefits?
•Access to new and innovative electricity pricing to save on their bills

The smart part is for the supplier to be able to have different(higher) charging rates at times and drive the customer to usage at times which advantage the supplier. EG reduce the peak usage and move it to night time when the usage is low. The customer saves as the cost is reduced.
In the future "Customers can choose to have some higher energy-using appliances, such as air conditioners, controlled automatically, so that times of high energy costs are avoided" It is for the suppliers but you get incentives in the form of lower rates for the power.
For my part I am going off grid with my usage and a battery bank. The transition may take some time. I may even get more panels and still sell the existing setup output. Depends on the amount offered for it. :o Not for 5c but it may get to 10c perhaps ?
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GarnZ » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Jaahn, thanks for that "NSW Fact sheet" it really explains a lot! I guess I have been seduced by the marketing of these meters!
RegardZ .
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby APR » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:31 pm

jaahn wrote:I may even get more panels and still sell the existing setup output. Depends on the amount offered for it. :o Not for 5c but it may get to 10c perhaps ?
Jaahn

Where abouts are you? If you are in an Essential Energy area you can get 10 cents/kWh of export from Enova Energy...

http://www.enovaenergy.com.au

Their solar price fact sheet for the Essential Energy area...

http://www.enovaenergy.com.au/wp-conten ... arplus.pdf
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby david2064 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:30 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:You can always put your own metering on, and have a display in your house, so you always know where the power is coming from.

Do you have any any experience with display in your home Gordon?
Another post mentioned Powercor but I can not find them on the web.
I have an Atlas Mk 7A supplied by Powershop
Cheers
David
david2064
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:09 pm

I have a Graphtec data logger for my off-grid system, which is displayed on a computer screen, and I prepare various daily graphs based on that, but it's all DC logging, so not really suitable for a grid-connected system. I don't have any experience with AC based whole system/house displays, but there are a number of them available.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby david2064 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:16 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:I have a Graphtec data logger for my off-grid system, which is displayed on a computer screen, and I prepare various daily graphs based on that, but it's all DC logging, so not really suitable for a grid-connected system. I don't have any experience with AC based whole system/house displays, but there are a number of them available.

Thanks for your quick reply
Could you give me some pointers on where I can look for 'AC based whole system/house displays,' which is what I want (I think)
many thanks
David
david2064
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:22 pm

http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby david2064 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:22 pm

Thanks Gordon but was I hoping for was a gadget that would interrogate the Atlas Smart meter
Certainly the first link you mentioned smappee uses a current clamp to measure usage
Many years ago I used a similiar device called a cent-a-meter
cheers
David
david2064
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance