Growatt keeps kicking fuse breaker out

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Growatt keeps kicking fuse breaker out

Postby Privatteer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Personally I would also be pushing for them to fix the string that's facing 2 orientations as well at their cost.
Assuming there is no shade issues on the west side move one entire string there.
PvOutput log Privs System
SMA Sunnyboy1700 8 KD Solar 200w + 2 Trina 215w
Morningstar TS-MPPT-45 2x250w Sino Solar on DIY tracker
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davidg » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:30 am

Privatteer wrote:fix the string that's facing 2 orientations as well at their cost.

Depends on when it was installed. If it was before the CEC and AS5033 reg and rule changes,
then they are (unfortunately) under no obligation to do so.
Hybrid-& Off-grid Systems - I Store Sun to use later- Can you?
20degNE, 30deg Tilt 7.2Kw with several Grid Inverters
AC-coupled using Selectronic SPMC-482 7.5kW
1100Ah 48V Bank

145KVA Genset.
PVOutput Stats

Us sparkies light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Inspector » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:57 pm

davidg wrote:
Privatteer wrote:fix the string that's facing 2 orientations as well at their cost.

Depends on when it was installed. If it was before the CEC and AS5033 reg and rule changes,
then they are (unfortunately) under no obligation to do so.

I vaguely recall an old (+2yrs) CEC "Installation Guidelines" document which stated all panels in same string must face the same direction. I assume it's only been included in the latest AS5033 because too many systems were being installed with "split strings" and installers (or labourers) rarely read documentation (whether it be CEC, Australian Standards, or manufacturer's installation manuals etc). They tend to find out the hard way that they've done it the wrong way - by defects from inspectors (and sometimes even that isn't enough for them to learn how to do the job properly! :) )
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept".
Inspector
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davlyn » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Have had the system since 8/8/2011.
Dave
davlyn
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby davlyn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:43 am

Ok looks like i am on my own.. now have a copy off Electrical Certificate of Compliance..
Section A..
20 x pv panels
4.2 kw Growatt inverter
2 x 4mm dc cable runs from panels to inverter
1x 2.5mm cable to s/ board
10amp c/ breaker to s/ board
I did notice that the contractor was also the inspector.???
Dave
davlyn
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:57 pm

davlyn wrote:2 x 4mm dc cable runs from panels to inverter

There are four PV wires, to the inverter, are there not..
So I assume this means 2 x 4mm pairs..

How far is the inverter from the Power Board..?
Perhaps if it's a short run, then the actual loss will be minimal, at the max of 17A

So - the first thing is to get a replacement Breaker, even if at 20A...
Remember that at this stage we have 3800W of PV and this will only deliver about 12A of A/C current...
Even MAXED out with overdrive and producing the potential 17A, that's still withing the technical ratings of 2.5mm TPS.... Inspector - what is the accepted limit these days 20A I thought..

eg.. I am running (oops) 1.5mm from my 2kW interter, over the massive distance of 1Mtr..(max).
( I just could not get 2.5mm around a stud )
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby KPrawn68 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Just read the string,sorry for late comments. Growatt is my econo inverter choice great unit if installed correctly.
As has been stated CB Min. 25A. (Ratings decrease as temp increases and I know Whyalla can get hot)
Cable Min. 4mm sq
Unfortunately panel positioning was cow boyish early in the piece and I see this 'split' system all to often. I agree move a string around corner if possible. The new standards are clear in splitting strings but guidelines dictated this area earlier ( and they were only guidelines).
Give us a first letter of the company Davlyn, I'm based near Kadina would be interested to know if its one of three-four companies in my mind.
What really sucks is when you ring the company they are going to tell you, you need deal with the installer (Early in the boom most installer companies had installers sign contracts to accept full responsibility for installations thereby waiving any comeback on the seller) and he doesn't work there anymore and they cant contact him.
On a positive note your local sparky can fix the main issue here being the AC
KPrawn68
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Privatteer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:17 pm

Given that there was 20 panels from day dot I would not consider having an underrated main supply "compliant". 2400w is 10A when at 240v and you have an array that could peak well past that esspecially if it was installed properly.

Changing the breaker to a 20A is possibly allowable depending on distance and how the 2.5mm2 is run.
But as others have said it should have been done in 4mm2 with a 25Amp breaker.
PvOutput log Privs System
SMA Sunnyboy1700 8 KD Solar 200w + 2 Trina 215w
Morningstar TS-MPPT-45 2x250w Sino Solar on DIY tracker
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby KPrawn68 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:56 pm

100% agree Privateer.

Davlyn said he has the COC which will have the installers details if he rings 08 8226 5518 The Office Technical Regulator here in SA I'm sure he' ll have the installer back pronto to fix that work he should have done correctly in the first place.
I'm doing more more and more 'fix it' work here in SA from companies that have either shut doors or just up and moved interstate and cant be contacted.
Fortunately for Davlyn this fix is the responsibility of the installer outright and he can at least be held accountable or face penalties.

I am curious though how long has this CB been tripping as the system was installed in 2011 (no excuses though) it's probably the poor performance as you've pointed out that hasn't seen it tripping more often
KPrawn68
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davlyn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:23 pm

dad 002.JPG

dad 001.JPG

Yes the pv wires to inverter are 2x 4mm pairs
inverter is 12 to 18'' from power box
The company was true value solar
thebarton sa
not in sa now
installer was JBZ elec and air.
will get the CB changed asap and then when i am off will get on to that number thanks KPrawn68.
Just a ad on for you to see how trusting we was we payed over $12000 for the system.
davlyn
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance