Aurora inverter reading

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Aurora inverter reading

Postby netjam » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:03 am

My 3.6kW system was installed just a month ago. I've puzzled to understand inverter reading.
I've Aurora 3.6kW inverter and 15 REC 245w black panels. The panels installed in 2 arrays 10 and 5.
Both arrays are facing north, no shading. So, I would expect to read some output from two arrays but only 1 array producing decent W.
Here is my random readings taken in a cloudy Melbourne morning:
PIN1 3W
PIN2 746W

VIN1 173V
Iin1 0.0A

VIN2 292V
Iin2 2.5A

In a good sunny day I ca get up to 12Kw (PIN2), but PIN1 readings never exceeded 3W.
Can someone clarify it for me?

Thanks
netjam
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Aurora inverter reading

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:47 am

netjam wrote:I've Aurora 3.6kW inverter and 15 REC 245w black panels. The panels installed in 2 arrays 10 and 5.

Are you sure thats how they are connected- 10 and 5 to the 2 MPPT inputs?
Max power per input is 2kW for those inverters, I think. 10 panels will be 2.45kW.

In a good sunny day I ca get up to 12Kw (PIN2), but PIN1 readings never exceeded 3W.

Do you mean 12kWh for the day? A 3.675kW system's peak output would rarely be over about 4kW.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby netjam » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:01 pm

Installer told me that one array is 10 panels and second 5 panels, but all I can tell that is connection to input 1 and to input 2 on the inverter.

Sorry I was not clear, 12kW per day
netjam
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Sonnig » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:04 am

Hi,

I’ve tried to interpret the inverter spec sheet but with the dual MPPT it makes it a little harder to read.

What does stand out is:
“Activation voltage "Vstart" [V]: 200 nominal (adjustable within the range 120Vdc-350Vdc, independently/each input)”

It is possible that the 5 panels do not create a sufficient voltage to trigger the MPPT to activate.

As you’ve mentioned:
netjam wrote:VIN1 173V

If the nominal 200 setting is still used then I believe this would explain it. Others may want to comment first but I would be discussing this with your installer and suggesting configuring a lower setting for MPPT #1 if they agree.

I would assume the choice of splitting the panels as 5 and 10 is due to physical layout on the roof. With non shaded panels all facing the same direction there might be a better split to use electrically to improve your inverter’s efficiency or possibly avoid running close to operating limits.

Others have discussed software that allows you to model your system’s efficiency based on panel specifications. It might be worthwhile seeing whether a different configuration would improve your situation although providing a photo, such as from nearmap.com.au, might help us highlight any potential pitfalls.
Sonnig
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Location: Eastern suburbs, Melbourne / SP AusNet / Diamond Energy

Postby Sonnig » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:29 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Are you sure thats how they are connected- 10 and 5 to the 2 MPPT inputs?
Max power per input is 2kW for those inverters, I think. 10 panels will be 2.45kW.

I did some quick sums using VIN1 & VIN2 and it seems a 5 / 10 split is feasible. I assume the average panel voltage would drop slightly as it starts to deliver power to the inverter with VIN2 29.2V/panel delivering 2.5A and VIN1 34.6V/panel with 0.0A.

The 3.0kW version has that 2kW per input max limitation but the 3.6kW and 4.2kW inverter can handle 3kW per MPTT so your inverter is safe with that configuration although as mentioned you might want to consider redesigning the 5 / 10 split for other reasons.
Sonnig
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Location: Eastern suburbs, Melbourne / SP AusNet / Diamond Energy

Postby netjam » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks guys.

I think it's upon installers. All I need is to confirm that the problem with installation/configuration.
If you ask me why they spited 5/10 - no idea, because 13 panels are lay side by side on one part of the roof and 2 panels on the other part.
So, I would expect someone from company will give me a call early next week.
However one positive thing has derived from all this. It's more potential output from my system, because I actually thought that is it. Considering my daily peak usage in average is 6kW for 5 people (3 kids). I am looking forward for the sunny days more than ever.
netjam
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby netjam » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:34 pm

On the final note I just want to mention what was the problem.
Allegedly the official reply was the faulty connector, which was causing problem with the sync…
PIN1 started to pump some W. Hard to tell yet on my total W improvement because it was raining all the way.
However, what I noticed is a broken plastic cover for the main safety switch on the switchboard.
The Guy who was fixing it did not even bother to explain what was wrong, I had to chase him..

I hope all my trouble with this solar thing is over, oh wait I am still need to get remote monitor from them which is out of stock. :evil:
netjam
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:41 am

Faulty Connector - A plausible alternative, for failing to set the inverter correctly. :oops: .
How long was he there fixing the problem.. :?: .. Did he climb on the roof, or was the faulty connector, the one at the inverter..

Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby netjam » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:46 pm

That is the thing. I was at the office while he was fixing it, however I instructed my wife to ask him give me a call with explanation. He didn't, but I was told he was making some noise on the roof.
Anyhow, Now I am getting almost twice of W than before
netjam
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Aurora inverter reading - please help

Postby scops007 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi Guys.

I got similar readings after a meter swap to the governement smart meter. Before the swap everything was running ok. 14 panel system (7 east, 7 west). The guy that came over(Jemena)did the swap left without turning on the solar inverter. When I turned it on myself found that the readings from one side of the panels (east) side were now producing 0W at 42V(anytime of the day) while the west side was ok fluctuating based on sun, at 242V.

Does the inverter need to be reconfigured when new meters are connected or should the inverter synch up with the new meter seemlesly or is is a faulty connector as per below? Please help as the distributor and their dodgy outsourced company won't lift a finger to assist. I am inclined to lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman but it is hard to prove they stuffed it up.
scops007
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Next

Return to Components, Installation And Performance