Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Postby Jimbo007 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:48 pm

Yunak,
that quoted price sounds like it is both boards.
Cheers,
Jim
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Yunak » Wed May 10, 2017 9:44 pm

Thank you Jim I will obtain a price for the set as you suggest.
I am still checking through the PSW7's internals to be sure it is not something simple.
I am gradually increasing my knowledge of electronics, never too old to learn something new.
Cheers, Yunak
Yunak
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Jimbo007 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:18 pm

I like your attitude. The thirst for new knowledge keeps senility at bay.
It's possible that the pump failure completely drained your batteries and caused permanent damage to them. The fact that it worked fine at home presumably on a different set of batteries suggests that the unit might be okay so test it again back in civilization if you can with a larger load.
If it behaves, you need to check your batteries at the remote location and recheck all the DC wiring.
It's also possible something rattled loose in transit.
Jim.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Thu May 11, 2017 8:44 am

Yunak,

I agree whole heartedly with Jimbo..... A battery can seem OK and measure fine until it has a load on it then whoosh dead battery.

Before buying any more stuff you need to really look closely at the batteries and ALL of the connections, switches, buzz bars etc to see if you have some resistance there!

As an indication of how easy it is to think you have issues, I had a situation where I had a dirty connection and my batteries seemed surprisingly low after a reasonable load for a reasonable period.... It was not until I was actually standing by the connectors and noticed a nice orange glow from the front of one buzz bar, turned out a poor quality jumper did not like the 1200 amps being drawn and decided to put a lot of it out as a cheap bar heater!

Fixing this connection problem and checking all others meant I could let the wife cook with the electric oven at night in winter!

Moral of the story.... Never trust yourself to have done it right unless you have checked all of the components under full loads....

Let us know how you go with the batteries...

Tell us more about the size and type of batteries you have as well as the balance state of the batteries....

You only need one dead cell in a massive array to bring everything to a stand still!

Cheers.

Graham.
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby shayneo » Sat May 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Mmm Jim ! Yunak problem, sounds similar to my issue, with my powerstar same model as well !

Mine has nothing no LCD lights at all. But will still supply power to house with generator ! But will not supply power to house from battery bank, once gen is shutdown, tho it still charges battery bank, while gen is running !!

Still working on getting it going Jim, I'm a busy man at the moment M8t, but reading Yunak post has spurred me on, has same model, so now I know what I am chasing thanks to you blokes !!

Cheers to all !!

Shayneo.
shayneo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Jimbo007 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:34 am

greetings Shayneo,
I suggest you read his post again.
After he cleaned and reassembled his W7, it worked properly until he took it some 500+ km to his property where it was again malfunctioning.
I suggested, and Graham agreed that his problem sounded like a battery problem.
If you know your batteries are sound, recheck all ribbon cables and internal pluggable connections are good. unplug and replug each in turn in case corrosion has created a problem.
Look carefully at the boards for any discolouration on components which might indicate either burning or corrosion caused by water. signs of either are likely catastrphic.
You didn't mention whether it was correctly charging your batteries or just pouring the juice in.
Cheers Jim.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby shayneo » Sun May 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Sorry Jim I should of made myself a bit clear !
What I meant was its the same model, so that made it clear to me what I was requiring for boards.

I know what's cactus with it, I can see the micro process controller is burnt-out or has received a substantial amount of heat.

Plus the fact I don't know much about this stuff, so I took it to someone else who had a great deal more brain than I do in this feild.

But the info you guys gave Yunak was valuable information about inverters to me also, as if I have issues once I get it up & running then have problems with it again, I know where to start looking !!

Thanks again Jim.
Shayneo.
shayneo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Jimbo007 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:19 pm

you're welcome Shayneo. my first order from the company, I also ordered a set of 48 volt 8 kw boards and 12kw boards. both look the same so the difference must be in the program and current transformers. I also ordered a 24 volt 3 kw set that promptly ended up in a friends inverter that had rain ingress with corresponding destruction. He wouldn't listen when I told him it must be protected from rain !
He also didn't fit a fuse or isolator in the battery supply line so he had to sit back and wait for the fireworks to finish :lol:
The change over was very simple.
They initially short supplied one set of output boards and when I brought it to their attention, that had it delivered within a week !
Remember to clearly specify your display options as there are a number of different configurations available.
cheers,
Jim.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Jimbo007 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:29 pm

I've ordered and payed for a 6 Kwatt unit 48 volt with toroidal transformer.
I can't wait to get back to Australia and play with it.
delivered cost $1000 plus customs I guess, but okay for such a beast !
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby shayneo » Mon May 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Mmm thanks Jim !! That reminds me, to now fit a fuse or isolatior between inverter & batterys also !!

So the model number of my inverter, is not enough information for them, to just send the right boards, to me then ?

Graham told me to take pictures of the unit & post it so they could see the issue.

So I did take pictures of it, but they were/are to big for this site.

Someone did tell me how to reduce the size on computer, but I'm not that great at using one, so I have been waiting for my son inlaw to get back from Darwin from work, as he'd kno how to do it, plus I work away from home quite a bit also.

So I am keen to post them, as you will clearly see where it's burnt-out or shorted !

I'm concerned as to what caused it to do it in the first place ?

So thanks Jim & all you guys have been a great help & I am glad I joined energymatters !

Regards Shayneo.
shayneo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance